BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first Steelhead season for me. I have recently purchased a Sage real and rod (8 weight) that I have set up for Coho. I know that I need a sink tip to get to the Steelhead. Can anyone recommend a good fly line I should look into? I heard Rio VersiTip is what I should be looking for. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey man,

The versitip system is a good start for sure. You can also buy sink tip material for your current line, t-10 is a good start, I myself use a 5' length of t-14. You can go lighter or no sink tip and toss a big weighted fly to get down in slow flows. think of it this way, if theres a fast riffle, you want to cut the water and get past that on your swing as quickly as possible.. if there aren't riffles and it is a patch of frog water, you'll snag it.. also depends on the water depth, don't want to to "floss" or snag alot.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I'd second the Rio VersiTip Syestem or something comparable such as the SA Multi Tip and I think AirFlo makes one too. You get the biggest bang for your $$ and you will be covered for most situations a river can toss at you. Add in a couple of heavier tips (above a type 8) and you'll be good to go. Be warned though..tossing anything heavier on than a type 8 tip and a fly on a single hander may put you into a chuck and duck situation, so don't forget to duck. ;)

Finder:cheers:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Ill make sure to duck! :eek: It seems that going into a VersiTip system is a bit more expensive but worth it. Would I add any slip-shot type of weight on their when in fast water?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The versi-tip is more expensive if you buy it outright, but worth it. However if your strapped like I was last winter season you can buy the Rio mainline from the system and one or two tips to get you started. Then fill out your tip wallet later when you have cash. I paid more in the end but it was around 90 instead of 150 initially, which fit the budget at the time, allowing me to pick up a few additional supplies with the remainder. I bought the clear intermediate and floating head later, as well as a heavier T-13 tip to add a heavier option to my wallet.

Also, no split shot, that's what heavier tips are for. :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree with the versatip. That all I use for my clients. I would also say that the heads included will cover 95% of the river situations covered. A type 8 tip with appropriate mending and line control will cover most of the slower runs and a 10 ft section of t 11 or 14 will get you where you need to be the rest of the time.

Keep your leaders around 2.5-3.5 ft long so the fly stays with the tip and tracks properly behind the head. Most guys fishing single hand rods have leaders that are too long . This creates the problem of not knowing exactly where your fly is .

·
Registered
886 Posts
Great post swiftwater. You covered the necessities for the Winter runs perfectly! I personally do not fish winters too much on the fly very often as I am not a big fan of fishing heads! I rather fish them on the CP. That's just me! But when I am fishing summer-runs floating and skating or small Teeny nymphs sub surface is what I like to do! :cheers: Fellow steelhead junkies and may the force be with you!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Ha ha it's with that attitude that I start every day for winter steel. The vast majority of times, I leave tired and beat up wondering why I even bother. Yet I return, again and again with that same go getter attitude. There's just something about steelheading. Without ever having a winter fish come to hand, I can still say that I love getting out there in cold...swing, step, swing...you know one day will be your day. Maybe yours will be tomorrow? ...and it's just that thought that's gonna keep you coming back for more! Best of luck tomorrow! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
late to the dance with my advice, can't go wrong with a versa tip everyone needs one in the arsenal. if you get sick of false casting pick up a TT Ambush line and you will be able to easily spey cast your single hander. works well in tight quarters and cuts down the wear and tear of those 1000 casts between grabs

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Ha ha it's with that attitude that I start every day for winter steel. The vast majority of times, I leave tired and beat up wondering why I even bother. Yet I return, again and again with that same go getter attitude. There's just something about steelheading. Without ever having a winter fish come to hand, I can still say that I love getting out there in cold...swing, step, swing...you know one day will be your day. Maybe yours will be tomorrow? ...and it's just that thought that's gonna keep you coming back for more! Best of luck tomorrow! :cheers:
Should be able to fix that goose egg up for you if you come down this way in the spring. You can pay me back by showing me your spots on the river where we "met" in august.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm half expecting my day to come up empty handed but it does not worry me. I'm fishing for steelhead so going to be great no matter the outcome, as long as the process of getting in the water with a heart full of hope is there. Appreciate the humor. I'm on a mission to have the exact opposite story that most fly-fishing anglers after the steelies have.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Should be able to fix that goose egg up for you if you come down this way in the spring. You can pay me back by showing me your spots on the river where we "met" in august.
Sounds like a plan. Will be down for a conference at the beginning of march and I always make a point to sneak out a day or two!
Without getting too off topic, I've had a few encounters with winters on the fly but have pooched it every time. I can't seem to get used to the wake up a tug provides and I procede to rapidly check-off every no-no on the list to dealing with a player. Bah!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Will be down for a conference at the beginning of march and I always make a point to sneak out a day or two!
Without getting too off topic, I've had a few encounters with winters on the fly but have pooched it every time. I can't seem to get used to the wake up a tug provides and I procede to rapidly check-off every no-no on the list to dealing with a player. Bah!
Hey BJ, be sure to drop me a line when you are down as well. It's been a long time, we should try and hookup.

Finder:cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.