BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys all use for a rod on the Vedder? Im just getting back into fly chucking and currently have a 5wht that i have tried out on some local lakes and the Vedder. Its great for trout!! But im wondering if it would hold up to a 10lb Salmon?? Any thoughts?? Thanks. Also what is the largest Tout that you guys have seen or caught in the Vedder. Rainbow I would guess? :)

· Registered
166 Posts
Five weight is good for lake fishing, but way too light for medium sized river like the Vedder, especially if you will be targeting salmon. I would move up to at least an eight weight. And if you will be going after chinook and chum salmon, maybe even beefing that up to a nine or 10 weight. Remember you want to get the fish back in a reasonable time and not play it to death.

· Registered
876 Posts
I use a 6 wt when fishing for coho on the Vedder and have even landed some 10-12 pnd springs on it without playing them to death, they even gave me a nice shower when they took off after the hook was dislodged. Biggest trout I have gotten out of the vedder was last year, it was 16 inches long, so there are some decent sized ones in there. Biggest this year so far is about 13 inches. I saw one chasing my roe up to the edge that was a pretty fair size too. My way of thinking is that if you hook a fish too big for your fly rod (say hooking a spring by accident) but hold the rod straight and break it off, that way you wont break your rod or over play the fish.

· Registered
691 Posts
I would go with an 8wt rod, for properly playing most salmon and steelheads. Something in the 9-10ft length. Also if you do a search you will see not only rod suggestions but line and reel recomendations.

As for just letting big fish break off Everyday, I see your intensions but it would be better to be properly equiped to handle them.

· Registered
218 Posts
If salmon I'd go 9wt minimum...not saying you can't use and catch on lighter..but when you foul hook a chum and believe me you will on just about any river...I've seen more 8wts snapped!!! If your experienced like most of the guys who have replied above you can get away with a lighter rod...because you'll know the difference between a mouth fish and a foul hooked one...You can always say you'll just point and pull but I've seen too many guys think they can play the fish some first and then "PoP" goes the rod...

Ho's, pinks etc can be fished and caught on much lighter set ups...Even seen big springs landed on 6wts..but that was only when the guy saw the fish and decided he was going to keep it first...then you have to play them till near death..again, experienced anglers...

Nothing wrong with being overgunned when it comes to salmon or steelhead for that matter...better to have the backbone to get um in quick then not...Chum are close to my favorite fish on the fly...They are an absolute blast to catch..fight like demons and will wear out your arm in no time...a 9wt set up will not disappoint when it comes to this fish and Kings!!! God I hope this is a good year for them, which i'm hearing might just be true!!!

· Registered
917 Posts
Personally, I'd recommend an 8 weight rod for an "all around" salmon rod. This will give you enough backbone with springs and chum, and be light enough to enjoy the smaller pinks and coho. Also, as discussed on other posts - not all rods are equal. My Sage 896 RPL+ has the lifting power of a 9 weight rod - easy! Also, I'd recommend a fast action rod since you'll likely be tossing sink tips. As for xgolfman's comments - I'm not going to argue with his 9 wt recommendation as he makes excellent points. If you end up foul hooking a large fish such as a chum, don't bother playing the fish out. Just point the rod tip at the fish and break off. Trying to horse in a foul hooked fish like a chum or spring will risk breaking the rod - even if it's a 9 weight.

One thing - and this has been repeated many times on this forum. Go to a fly shop, speak to the staff, and try out rods and see for yourself what you like. There are many decent rods that are reasonably priced. Good luck and have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.