BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, what's the best way to drive into the Thalia Lake area? I've been into Kump before, but not sure if you access Thalia Lake from the same side or if there is a more direct route. Any info would really be appreciated.

G

·
After turning in follow the AW ranch signs bearing to the left. You will come to marked sign and if you go straight you will end up at Thalia. Turn left and you end up and Goose. :beerchug:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
anybody here ever hit any monsters out of this lake? it advertises that the fish are 1-3lb average but fish up to 22lbs have been caught here!!! :eek: my dad and i have meant to get to this lake however the directions he found seemed like a very long drive for some reason. is this true? how long would it take from Surrey?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ha ha ha very funny. NO lake is full of freakishly large fish but the write up about the lake says they have been caught in there that big. I was just curious if anyone has tangled with one say over 10lbs in this lake. with alot of 1-3 lbers it would make it tought to get the big boys because the smaller ones are usually more aggressive and less smart.

G

·
Personally I have never fished Thalia but have fished other smaller lakes and had great success in the 3-4 pound range. I can get there is 3.5 hours from Maple Ridge as long as no speeding tickets through Manning Park which I did get this Saturday about 5:30 AM. :beerchug:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey...posted this same question in the region reports....but just wondering what the ice/turn over situation was when you were up there. I had heard everything was late this year....I am heading up there in a week or so.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Kump has a one fish a day restriction as well as single barbless hooks, I've never caught anything there but there must be monsters for restrictions like that. I've refined my methods, maybe it's time to go back... >:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys all this conversation about multi-digit fish is more then enough excitement to get me up on the lakes - that's how I ended up on Kump and Roche last year. Yeah I know both of those lakes are cake walk drives to reach in comparison, but I've only been at this a few years.

I guess I still come back to my original question on how to best access Thalia and its neighbouring lakes? I'm all into exploring, but at the current time I'm driving in solo and don't really want to tackle a truck eating mud hole (that I don't have to) and have to hike out because there isn't anyone to pull me out. :wallbash: I really really like fishing, but I also don't like looking like a complete idiot having to walk out and having to call for a tow. :naughty: I guess experience has taught me to ask questions first, not later. So I may look a little dumb here, but here is better then stuck in a hole or driving in circles.

Looking at the BC Backroads map books, Fish Wizard, Google Earth, and any other resource I've gotten my hands on to date it's just not obvious the best way in. Is it as well marked as Spiker indicates and I'm just being fooled because I'm using the wrong maps or over thinking the whole thing? The Backroads map book I've got is for all of BC. The entire area around Thalia over to the 5A is about 2 sq inches. It shows so little detail its not funny. While I wouldn't turn down the perfect driving instructions or joining someone who has driven in before - I would like to know that I've got the right maps and information before I go it alone. Maybe the better question is what resources do you guys use to get into these areas or is it strictly drive, search, backup :naughty:, and finally find :happy:.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Head north from Princeton on the 5a. The turn off is well after Allison Lake. Turn left on the Pike Mountain Forest service road. Keep to the main road as it turns off to head to the guest ranch. Drive in about 2 km. The road eventually curves southward. On your right you will eventually come upon an intersection with a brown signpost with (obviously) signs guiding you to the desired lake. Kump Lake is a few km straight up the road on your left. There may not be a sign but it's after a cattle guard and the access rd goes straight up a rough hill that looks bad but if you take it easy you should make it (I saw a VW bus make it up there!!) Thalia and all others you turn right (west) and follow the signs. I am sorry I can't give better instructions but it's been years since I went to Thalia and I actually found it by accident. There are 2 campsites at Thalia, I believe it's the north one that has easier access. The south campsite is virtually impossible access w/o a truck let alone a 4x4.
Hope this helps!! If you have any questions just ask!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Flyfisher:

I used to fish the Tahlia lake group quite a bit, and I tried the usual route described by Mrmugs, but ended up using the Coquihalla quite a bit instead. I took the Coq to the Clearwater exit (#256) just after Larson Hill then turned right heading back South until it turned into Brookmere Road. I then turned right at Otter Valley Road and then left at Youngsberg Road to the Tahlia Lake group. Most of those roads are well kept gravel roads (what they call "highways" up North :)), and then depending on which lake you want to hit, it may get a little rougher near the end.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I went to Lodwick last July, and took a day trip over to Thalia from there. I just followed the Backroads Mapbook in and had to problem finding them. I hauled in a 19' travel trailer with no issues. The road is fairly well signed and not in bad shape.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Never tried Stone's route although I've always wanted to. Keep in mind you will end up paying for the toll booth if you go that way. I actually find if you go the back way it's always more interesting. On the long weekend I went to Big Bar and went home through Jesmond, through to Kelly Lake, Pavillion, Lillioet etc. What a beautiful, diverse (geologicaly) province we live in! I can't wait til my boys are old enough to go with me so I can show it off! :thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the good recon info. :D

When your going in Stone's way my map book shows a gate at the junction of Otter Valley Rd and Youngsberg (on Youngsberg). Is this open during fishing season or do I need a key?

Also, for those of you using the Backroad Mapbooks do you have the individual area mapbooks or the BC Backroad Mapbook? I think this may be one of my problems. For example, my mapbook is called BC Backroad Mapbook (it covers Southestern BC, Kamloops/Okanagan, and Kootenay) has 53 pages that covers the Kamloops/Okanagan section. Can someone with the Backroad Mapbooks for the Thompson Okanagan please comment on the scale of their maps. On the first page of the book I've got it says the scale is 1:150,000 or 1cm = 1.5km. I'm suspecting that I am getting a condensed view of the world. :pissed:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.