BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming to the coast from Alberta and I was wondering what the best way to packge salmon for the return trip,thats if we are successful.

Previous trips I've gutted and cut the heads off but when you get back home thawing a whole salmon is too much for a meal. Is there filleting technique where you can separate the fillets and keep it legal? (tail on).

Any for halis?

Thx Conan :beerchug:

· Registered
46 Posts
I fillet leaving the tail on one of the filets to avoid hassels with the fish cops. Vacum Pack and freeze.

For the drive home - dry ice is best.

However, if dry ice is unavailable, just before your departure home, pack in very large cooler (5-day kind) a 4-6in deep layer on the bottom off salt-ice. Lay in your vaccum packs and pack on top an additional 6-8in of salt ice. Drive fast and try to get your fish back into the freezer as soon as possible.

Pre-cooling your cooler the night before with a good load of salt or dry ice helps keep all at lowest possible temp druing transport.

· Banned
189 Posts
Maybe it's time to think about smoking some of that Salmon yourself.

There's no problem using once frozen fish and the product can be refrozen with no loss of quality.

As to Halibut-get friendly with your local butcher, have him cut the the fillets into 2 person portions on his bandsaw and vacuum pack them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.