BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, what's your biggest fish caught in a lake in the lower mainland? (inches and pounds)

I'm curious to find out what kind of monsters people have come up with and where if you want to share that info.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not really lower mainland but Sunshine Coast approx 4-5 years ago caught and released a 21" cutty on Ruby Lake between the two islands you can see from the highway at the south end. Good spot trolling from dropoff to shallows there. Unsure of the weight. I have heard West Lake on Nelson Island is home to some behemoths... on my list of lakes to hit... one day...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I've pulled a few 18-20" cutties out of a local lake (fed by some rivers and flows into a river named with the lake) and have caught dollies up to 8-9 pounds there too.....

Mike <")))))))><

·
Registered
917 Posts
Last year at a local lake I caught and released a beauty cutty - my biggest ever of about 22 - 23". My net was too small to hold the fish and when I popped the fly out of its mouth, the fish straightened its body and simply slid right out of the net before my buddy (FishFinder) could snap the photo! FF said he landed a similar fish a few years back and it measured 23" if I can recall correctly. Earlier in the day, FF landed a solid 16" cutty. He told me that there were huge cutties in that lake, but apparently I didn't listen to him as I brought the wrong net with me. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yep some nice ones in that lake eh FFM? I've caught a few nice cutthroat 20-23" 3-4lbs and one rainbow that was close to 20". Lots of crayfish and stickleback for food in there ;) One thing ive noticed about the cutthroat is they get long but are quite skinny. Heres a 16" from there :-* Also lost a hog at Hoover lake couple years back...cant wait till spring :eek:

·
Registered
167 Posts
what's your favourite spot for cutties in 'that' lake? South end of main part/sloughs? Funny thing about rainbows there is that there are hardly any (in my experience) in south end, mostly central and north end...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The biggest fish I have caught in a local lake was a carp. I caught it in a lake close to where I live, and it weighed around 8 lbs. Caught it in 2000 on a piece of prepared bread dough with bacon fat........There were others bigger in that lake, too!........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
477 Posts
FFM and RC:

I've been to this lake you speak of. I was there a few years ago and noticed a fair number of cutties in the creek near the entrance to the lake. They were hiding under a big tree that had fallen across the creek. Do you guys know if you can actually fish in the creek or is it a no fishing zone? Just curious...
Finder is planning on going up there in the spring for a day trip and asked if I'd like to join him...it'll most likely be the first time I try to use my FishCat 4 ! It should be a good laugh! ;D You guys should try to come out. I'm looking forward to fishing for some nice cutties...

As far as my biggest fish in a local lake, I caught a suprisingly fat 15 inch Rainbow out of Rolley Lake about 6 yrs ago.

Cheers! -Nathan in NW

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Many years back a good friend of mine and I were flyfishing Sayers Lake out of our floattubes in the spring. After a good number of average sized fish, he hooked and landed a 24-25'" rainbow on a muddler minnow at a creek mouth that was running high from recent rains...this thing was as fat as a football! Probably had a girth of about 10" or more. Later we found out that a bunch of the brood stock for the hatchery there had escaped, and it was likely one of the escapee's... ;D We went back every year there for several years after that and never hooked anything that big in there again, but I am told there are some big fish still in there, just fickle and tough to catch... ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Nice_One

No fishing in the tributaries...However you are allowed to fish the lake where the creek flows in. I think most guys who have been on this site for awhile know what lake we are talking about here but we'll keep you on your toes :p .We should definitelyhave a BCFR lake fishout in the spring.

Sayers you say Rib...I think its all an urban legend ;) Everytime we fished there I got the good old skunkola. Never even saw a fish jump :-\ Somthing about that lake gives me the heebie-jeebies :eek: The drop offs there are somthing else...

Biggest fish I've seen caught localy was a 8-10lbs brood stock rainbow out of Green Timbers. Its head was all mushroomed out and it looked like it had seen better days. I asked the guy what he was going to do with it and he said "this coho will smoke up nice" ::) ??? What do you say to that ;D :p

-RC

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I've been lucky enough to catch and release some piggy 3N still water cutts in the 23-27 inch range. Over the next few years you'll be seeing some bigger fish coming out of a number of our south coastal lakes, as a good number of them have already been stocked with the 3N triploid bows and cutts.

Finder :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've caught some mighty pike minnow, upwards of about 7 lbs :p But the biggest trout would be about a 20 inch cutty out of hayward lake. I did get a 23 inch cutty in sayers creek, but we're talking lakes here right ;D Sayers used to produce some monsters, but they, along with all of the other fish in the lake seemed to dissapear with the hatchery :-[ I have personally seen fish come out of sayers that were 10+ lbs, and saw a pic of one in the local paper that was 16 lbs :eek: I wonder how big they would be if there were still some swimming around in there. :p

G

·
About 3 years ago I caught about a 20" rainbow in Sayers right by the pens. It was also a football in terms of girth. Have never caught anything since and have given up fishing there due to lack of success. 8)

·
Registered
47 Posts
In a lower rainland lake I would say a 5 pound carp out of Trout lake in Vancouver.

I did catch a 20 pound sturgeon once right under the Knight Strret bridge beteen Vancouver and Mitchell island.

I caught a 9 pound Bull Trout when I lived in Fort St. John out of the peace river.

I also caught a 8 pound pike out of Charlie lake but pike there do not fight. I also caught a 6 pound walleye but they do not fight much either.

The North Thompson I caught a six pound rainbow by the Maclure ferry. (sp)

My biggest Rainbow ever was in 86 at Crystal lake (around Bridge lake) that was just over 9.

But around here the trout realy do not get that huge for the most part.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
just like RC said the biggest i have seen was also at green timbers a few years back around 81/2lbs and i have caught lots there in the 4/5 lb range however over the last year or so this weird algae like plant has been suffocating off the lake in the summer months which has resulted in really bad fishing for everyone

just a reminder boys they should be stocking it right before spring break as they normally do every year and it had some broods tossed in in January i was told

if you fly fish you can have good success more so then with powerbait like most people use i only fly fish and if you change up and find what they want you can catch quite a few when they are feeding

my dad and I usually only fish it in the late night hours during the summer months when the water gets colder at night they go on the feed very aggressively ;D which can really pay off

local guy thats always there fishing told me the hatchery guys said they are dumping a good amount in this spring (spring break) unlike last year they only dumped about 500 total

tight lines

HOOK
P.S. try a black spratly as a good staple at that lake just vary your speed and find what they want its always been a great fly there also black/white ribbed chronnie or green chronnie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts