BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be interested to know what your preferred wool combination is for Coho's and Steelhead. I almost use wool exclusively as it's clean, cheap and easy to change up. However I find I have my secret combinations of colors that constantly produce. What do you use? Any secret colors that you find slay'em?

Mine are as follows.

Coho= Peach base color with a few strands of red in the center and top off with very thin white overlay (skein)

Steelhead = Bubble gum pink base, thin white overlay.

I'll post some pics of my little creations when I get a sec.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Coho,Spring

I like to use the fat wool. I take half a strand of hot pink and half a strand of pink lady or peach or champagne and mix them together and fluff them up before putting them in the loop.
Of course the colours change with the water clarity.

Steelhead

As above except I add a jenson egg or other steelhead creations.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Springs - Red.

Coho - Peach & white.

Steelhead - Orange & white.

Chum - Chartreuse.

Pink - Pink, orange & chartreuse combo.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Flo orange 25% white 75% matches the g'bob perfectly and is just a hot colour (we dont get to chuck guts too much on the rock) for steel.
One of the go to for the springs would be chartrouse or anything with a black variation in the crystal clear rivers.....seems to intise them... dirty water i would go the standard roe colours.
Chum deffinatly chartrouse
Ho's, I slide to the blue side first after that what ever works

Fishaholic is always changin, though some systems require different colours, one system i know the steel will only constantly hit the glo green...(and tried them all) clear or dirty...always pays to experament
:cheers:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I didn't think you would mind. Guess we just have the same type of addiction :beerchug: (as do a lot of others on this site)

O.K.-back to wool................

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i have caught all my steelhead on one colour except for one fish which i cant remember what i got it on LOL its a pink/orange/****** kind of colour but im not going to say what the colour is actually called as coho and springs like it also ;D springs i mostly use blood red. for coho i am fly fishing most of the time ;) this year i have been chucking guts alot more than using my wool which has been a learning curve for sure LOL

HOOK

·
Registered
12 Posts
I prefer roe most of the time over wool. However, in low clear water 2 years ago, and i mean LOW and CLEAR i was chucking beauty coho roe and nothing. my buddy slips on a sliver of wool, i mean around the size of a pea and wam 2 fish. any variation of peach,red,orange,pinks etc

·
Registered
78 Posts
Springs Emerald Green Or Peach
Coho Blue
Pinks Shrimp Pink
Chum Orange Or Chartreuese
Steelys Never Caught One But ill find out n catch one soon
cause i got the hang of catchin the others. soon soon enjoy my beautiful tips n catch lots of fish

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hey Legacys just remember that steelies explode the instant you set that hook so be prepared :eek: :eek: alot of people lose their first one if not more ;D it took me hooking 3 till i landed my first. of course rocks helped them twice ???

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
guess ive been lucky then as i have only had one sluggish one so far which was actually one of my smallest fish and wild ;D most have either exploded right out of the water or taken a huge ripping fast run right away. most the time the rip before i even set the hook ;D

HOOK

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
OK Back to the colour of your wool thread............. ;)

ACCORDING TO A RECENT ARTICLE PUBLISHED BY MEPPS, FISH DO NOT HAVE AN INATE DESIRE FOR ANY PARTICULAR COLOUR. HOWEVER, SOME COLOURS, UNDER CERTAIN LIGHT AND WATER CONDITIONS ARE MORE EASILY SEEN. WHICH DOES TEND TO MAKE THE COLOUR OF THE DAY MORE IMPORTANT.
AN EXAMPLE WOULD BE .......WHAT COLOURS ARE REALLY CATCHING FISH ON ANY PARTICULAR DAY??
(sorry for the caps don't want to retype)
Salmon have eye receptors readily adapted to see green in the ocean and red during spawning...How these colours contrast with the background (the bottom) is also very important....Sometimes they can be reflective, and on other days your presentation will be the perfect camoflage and blend into the background so well you recieve no action. A fishes metabolism changes with the temperature of the water, and therefore it is always a good idea to use an assortment of colours....If something isn't working change your gear....It always surprises me when I see 3-4 fishers hit salmon or steelhead with a particular colour and the guy that doesn't change gets nothing and continues to use the same gear for the rest of the day!!.............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've seen blue mentioned a few times here for Coho. That's new to me! What color blue we talking? Not trying to spit hairs here but one can be vastly different from the next. I'm guessing it's a lighter washed out blue?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.