BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When fishing becomes really angry...maybe its time to try something new.

Many of your posts are fair comment about the questionable conduct of some of the folks who show up at the river. As always, there is an array of skill levels at the river, from beginner to seasoned experts.

For the past 10+ years we have a group that fish the Vedder for 2.5 great days. One year one of the guys from our group wandered up to an open spot on the river with only one other guy anywhere near. Lots of room for both to fish freely without evening noticing the other. However, the seasoned veteran felt he needed to vent some anger so before our friend even set up, let alone cast, the veteran came to him and said, “If you come anywhere near my line I’ll cut you’r f..’n line”. This is not a great way to start a fishing weekend. Another year we just arrived and hadn’t even geared up when a fellow came over yelling at one of us that he was responsible for the dead pink sitting on the bank that some illegally took and then left on the bank. Fortunately one of our group members recognized the problem and stepped in to avoid the chance of a fight and pave the way to the two guys recognizing they both want the same thing… a peaceful day of fishing, good etiquette, fun fishing without having to deal with someone elses rage that they bring to the river. I think many of the guys who are at the river share a common interest and like the idea of being part of a bigger cast of folks that share a common interest.

I’ve seen a lot of anger from pro’s when neophytes don’t fish like the pros. I remember my first season decades ago, and I wanted to fish like a pro but I didn’t. The good thing was that I had enough real pro’s around me who led without rants and instead were tolerant, patient, and above all led by example. Our crew doesn’t litter, fits in well anywhere at the river and enjoy seeing the other people around us doing the best they can to have a great day .

I’ve seen accomplished experts rip on the “beginners” and perhaps some of those pro’s try to bring others down to build themselves up. In any case it’s somewhat like beating your little child up when they are first trying to learn how to ride a bicycle…it doesn’t encourage learning at all. Anyone who gets ripped on at the river may not be quite as inclined to take up the interest of the person who is yelling at them. In order to accommodate a more realistic chance of change, taking the time to genuinely try to help someone else out, while being friendly and respectful, is more likely to meet with success.

The angry, impatient, and intolerant pro doesn’t win anything, least of all someone to want to change their practice and become like him . What distinguishes a real pro from a person who’s just great at catching fish is measured not just in the style, manner, and expertise he uses, but also in those who genuinely want to learn to be like him one day. I don’t know of any beginner that would aspire to one day become a guy who can bag lots of fish and stay angry, frustrated, bitter and constantly ready to fight.. That’s the antithesis of fishing.

When everyone gets to the river their pumped for an awesome experience, and why shouldn’t they be. Sometimes that huge energy gets misplaced and people suffer. Be nice, respectful, and helpful if you want change. It’s more fun along the way in anyhow. There’ll never be any end of difficult people who show up at the river. The true measure of a strong pro is how you get that attitude and energy back into the common focus, and the tougher it is, (with people who are really angry sometimes), the more I admire those who can accomplish that task each and every time.

I like the comments about littering and the fact that you guys lead by example by taking the time to clean it up. That keeps me and everyone else who reads your post way more inclined to act like you. Genuine thanks!

People who go fishing will use the only means they have to try to accomplish what they set out for …catching fish. If you see a beginner who’s snagging fish, and its really that important to you, take the time to offer to show that person how to get just as many fish the right way.

I’ve met a lot of good folks on the river and I’ve had a lot of good folks help me through the years. I’m trying to pass it forward now by being patient, tolerant, respectful, and helpful and it turns a day of frustration and anger into peace, fun and great fishing. It;’s an amazing experience I want to pass on to my grandchildren one day and you guys are the leaders, so continue to keep it all good. So if fishing ever becomes really angry, maybe a new approach is worth the time and extra effort. Thanks !

·
Registered
105 Posts
I understand your frustration Kev! I have 3 things to say to you: 1) Go fishing to have fun! 2) Dont let some thing you read on this or any other forum take away from your joy of fishing. 3) Dont even acknowledge any bad manered or rude fisherman on the flow, just find another spot and have a nice day! :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
there is nothing worse than some jerk ruining your day of fishing.....I can sympathise with you...I have had similar encounters..one time with an actual guide while he was guiding other people.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When everyone gets to the river their pumped for an awesome experience, and why shouldn’t they be. Sometimes that huge energy gets misplaced and people suffer. Be nice, respectful, and helpful if you want change. It’s more fun along the way in anyhow. There’ll never be any end of difficult people who show up at the river. The true measure of a strong pro is how you get that attitude and energy back into the common focus, and the tougher it is, (with people who are really angry sometimes), the more I admire those who can accomplish that task each and every time.

Kev what an awesome post such a well brought thoughtfull post, yeah ive seen gruesome almost scraps one guy almost got stabbed in the neck, for that bs with a fish on n buddy snags the fish n what not, its all drama and i stay away from it, i like quiet spots with beauty of the water rushin and good fish holdin n screamin FISH ON, n then goin down the river tailing my fish n releasing if not the right size from the regulations, u said it all and now i must wish everyone the best on your endeavours and experience on the river keep it positive n have the best time n stay away from the negatives.
tight lines

·
Registered
176 Posts
Kev brings up some excellent points. This is EXACTLY why I rarely fish the Vedder anymore. Too many crackers.
It's such a beautiful river system that is loaded with fish. Problem is, access is WAY too easy, and...... it's loaded with fish. :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
I hear ya hog I don't fish the "chedder" either for that reason, first you gota be camped out at a spot by 4 am or it's too damn busy to get away from it all. The veeder is in my opinion strictly a "meat" fishery. If you actually enjoy getting away from it all, relax and go catch a fish or two then fish somewhere else, the harrison, parts of the Chehalis, the Stave, many sloughs around.
Every time I have had the unfortunate experience of fishing the vedder I see more fish brought in and killed FOUL_HOOKED than I do see actually hooked, guys just don't seem to care, basically you hook it it's yours and that is not right and i don't like to see it so I don't fish there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
great post....I often fish parts of the river with no fish just to get my line wet and relax away from work and away from the shoulder to shoulder snaging flossing mess.sounds like you have it all under control tight lines

·
Registered
47 Posts
8) Fishing with beaks and pros can be rewarding, all depends on you're tolerance level. Great post Kev!

G

·
Great post. You know its not right when you havn't even fished the vedder yet and all of the stuff you have heard baout all the jerks that go out and "fish" makes you never want to fish it. i think i will stick to some less populated rivers. i dont think its worth having some guy getting mad at me because im not as experienced as him.

-fine

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
One day on the vedder in the dead of winter, fishing for steelhead about 5 years ago, it was one of my first few years steelheading.... a guy standing about 40 feet away from me fishing a little run with his two teenage sons, stopped fishing pulled out his hunting knife and waved it at me, saying:

"You'd best get the $%$# outta here this spots taken !!!"

I wasn't even looking to fish his spot, just walking by him with a fish in my vest on my way home, there was no other way back to my truck and he goes and pulls out his knife and makes threatening gestures at me....couldn't believe it! So I pulled my hatchery out of my vest, and I yelled out to him:

" I don't want to fish your damn spot ass&*%& !!! I already fished it on the way through before you got here, it isn't the only spot holding fish!"
Now, I know it sounds real tough and like I was trying to be brave :roll: :roll: :roll: , in reality it was just plain stupid, cause this guy was not messing around, he was not right in the head...but I had 3 things going for me....

1- I had about a 40 ft head start and I'm a real quick moving little guy
2- He looked pretty old and like he wouldn't be able to move very fast anyways, not to mention I was bigger than his kids...so he probably wouldn't a sent them after me.
3- I was pretty sure if he was willing to defend the spot with a knife, that he wouldn't be willing to leave it to chase some punk kid.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, anyone out there thinking you can be brave out there on the river, or that it matters if you're right or wrong- you can't and it doesn't....just keep in mind there are some real nuts are out there...remember terry driver?

From my experience running bars, it's best to just avoid idiots unless absolutely necessary, you never know what they'll do and as someone mentioned earlier when your fishing, there's plenty of river to fish, so just move on.....
I was a lot younger, and full of attitude back then, looking back now, it probably wasn't a very smart thing to do to mouth off to a guy with a knife, whatever the circumstances...I certainly wouldn't have done the same these days.

I think this is probably a worst case scenario, but I could be wrong. It was by far my worst experience out there, this was in the dead of winter too, probably a foot of snow on the ground a hardly anyone else in that area of the river... I've never had another run in with anyone since...must be lucky. :wink:

ps: it was probably more like 40 yards between us rather that 40 ft.... 8)

oh yeah, and great post kev....I guess it brought out some memories....

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Ribwart, I think you shoulda done the old boulder toss into his run :lol: .
I find the anglers who are going through the "it must be the spot" phase are the worst for this.
Most good rods I know and fish with are very easy going and hardly ever fish pressured spots, unless they are trying to sock it to the "grumpy" guys, by pulling fish from behind them :lol: , god I love doing that, until it happens to me :shock: .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Damn Vedder

I feel for all of you that fish the Vedder, I am from Abbotsford and fished it for years (I have been moved away now for three years) and I hear you on the social problems. It’s such a well-enhanced system and it attracts everyone, the good, the bad and ugly. It’s a fun, beautiful system to fish and it’s sad to see guys out there that think they own a spot or that they have to act like a madman until they reach their limit. I have seen some unreal acts of misjudgment, hate or whatever it is on that river.

When I first started out I fished the busy “meat” areas because I tried to get tips and ideas before I realized I don’t need that sort of advice. So I started to wonder around, hike into a few areas and I was the only one there and I caught a lot of Coho. I am sure that in three years the fishing pressure has increased greatly, but you don’t have to fish these populated runs. We hiked in from the Vedder Mtn side and fished nice pockets on the river right side of the limits hole (No, not the illegal area).

Also down the backside of Tamihi in the boulder runs, nobody is there because they are all up at the bridge. I just started to walk around and find areas with my buddy and most areas were very good for Coho and Springs. I have been involved with the hatchery there and it’s sad to see their hard work falling into this mess. Yes, the hatchery fish are there to catch, but it’s for enjoyment etc, the fish are not there for guys to go out and act like cavemen.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Great point fishon. I have found the same thing, and it doesn't only apply to the Vedder. If you are willing to hike/wade for 15 minutes or more you will be able to find great fishing and solitude on any waters. The clowns who give the most problems are usually too uninformed or lazy to realize that a river is a vast, living organism that has many faces and aspects not found right next to the road. I have walked away from "meatholes" on every stream I have fished, be it for salmon, cutthroat, or rainbows and usually have found my own holes that have produced as well as the holes crowded with "the great unwashed". The extra work involved in getting to your own spot, I firmly belive, is a major factor in the enjoyment you get from finding it. If you find someone else there, they are more likely to treat you with respect and encouragement, as they will recognize a fellow angler, not just another meathole pounder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts