BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I launch from Cates park, I gathered that I should head up towards indian river, but what do I do when I get there??

Do I anchor and cast blindly?

Anchor WHEN i SEE a school?

Not anchor and cast blindly?

AND

If I do find a school, how do I stay on top of them? Do they just stay in one specific area?

Thanks guys

Poutine

·
Registered
708 Posts
ashtonspoutine said:
If I launch from Cates park, I gathered that I should head up towards indian river, but what do I do when I get there??
You first of all avoid the two huge closed to fishing areas called Rockfish Conservation Areas

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca:80/recfish/Restricted_Areas/RCAs/Areas/Area28_page_e.htm

Do I anchor and cast blindly?
Look for schools of fish breaking water in the small open to fish area at the very head end of the inlet

Anchor WHEN i SEE a school?
Yes

Not anchor and cast blindly?
No, don't cast blindly

AND

If I do find a school, how do I stay on top of them? Do they just stay in one specific area?
Don't have your main motor running, this will put fish down quickly. If you see fish moving try to go in front of them and drift quietly towards them casting as you go. Once past them run back in front of them giving them a wide berth while running back in front

Thanks guys

Poutine
Good luck finding fish in the open water

·
Registered
708 Posts
It was not ment to be sarcastic, but don't cast blindly and look out for the RCA's most of the decent beaches and coves that the pinks stack up in are all closed to angling and when you get to the top end you will most likely find seals chasing the fish all over the place. You may try the river it's self for c'n'r or fish between Cates and the mouth of the Seymour. The RCA's suck.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Look for jumpers. Even if jump in open water you can catch them just put a lines at around 30' and troll. Casting works to but you have to put your boat in front of the fish... not always that easy.
have fun, Jason

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
As rln mentioned, watch out for the Rockfish Conservation Areas, I heard recently from a member that they saw a boat fishing pinks in one of those areas...

I think many people forget about such area closures when they are targeting salmon, an area closure means just that. Closed to all fishing. Keep that in mind everyone when hunting schools of pinks out there...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Bertoli said:
Why are these areas closed to fishing?
They have been closed in an attempt to help rockfish populations grow back.

ashtonspoutine said:
So, Ill make sure to stay out of the RCA.

Is it RCA around the indian river? If not, maybe I should troll around there.

Guess Ill figure it out.
The RCA stops when you get to Granite falls (the large falls on the east shore, just past the tip of Crocker Island. But you might want to not burn the gas, lots, and I mean LOTS of seals up that way! The pinks are hugging structure hard for cover.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rln...

Sorry about my 'sarcastic' question. I just re-read your post and see you answered all of my questions. I didnt originally see it because it was highlighted as if it was quoting my previous post.

Thanks for all the info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.