BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell every one! I am new to this forum and just got a 21' Trophy for my fishing. I lost all shore fishing wars and switched to boat fishing to have peaceful time. I realized all member of this forum are very experience fisher man, please give me a idea where you lance your boat for which area of water you fish around Vancouver.
Also where are you going this summer ?? which hotel or town you stay?? are they big enough and safe to park over night??Because I have no idea over Van Island, especially boat trailer behind me.
I am thinking about Campbell R or somewhere in Barkley sound for start but if good boat lunch and great fishing I will go anywhere.
Anybody stayed floating lodge?? All information appreciating including boating tips.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
HT.....first off, welcome to the forum.

As for boating/fishing and where to go, do you have any experience operating a boat out on the "saltchuck"? That is going to be the first thing to take a look at. If your experience is limited I would highly recommend sticking kind of "close to home" to start and taking a course like the Power Squadron may be a good idea. The weather out in the strait can change very quickly, there are tides to take into account; not to mention the waters here are LOADED with crap that can be hazards when you are boating. Lots of logs/deadheads etc in the waters here on the inside.

Where are you coming from? "If" you are looking to fish the local (English Bay waters) I would likely launch at the Planetarium in Vancouver. Just at the entrance to False Creek as there is quite a bit of parking there for boat and trailer.

There are LOTS of answers to your questions, as to where to go; your questions are quite general. I would highly recommend taking a look through past threads on the "salt forum" on here and also in the "boating forum" which is in the "open chat" section. Plenty of good info and if you look back there are lots of threads from people who are new to boating/fishing the salt around Vancouver area.

Here is one thread that came to mind. With 25 pages of archives in the salt forum (not sure of how many in the boating forum) you should find some good reading and take some time to look through them.

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php/topic,2356.0.html

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php/topic,2677.0.html

As far as "where" to fish it really fluctuates with the runs showing up to hit the rivers from the Fraser to the Cap etc.

You can fish most times of the year along West Van.....things start to pick up off the Coal Port and different arms of the Fraser into the summer months. (if you are fishing out at the arms of the Fraser be forewarned; THEY CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS WATER with tides and outflows from the rivers). You can head out around Bowen and that area; Hole in the Wall which is the area in Howe Sound along the Sea to Sky Highway roughly between Horseshoe Bay and Lions Bay.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You also want to be careful where you launch in regards to tides...It can be a long wait for the tide to come in at the Planatarium or Ambleside. You are somewhat limited in regards to your launch and recover times. I like McDonald Beach out by the airport in the North Arm of the Fraser. Even at low tide there is plenty of water for launching. Plus it gives your engine a "fresh" flush at the end of the day. Be aware that the mouth of the river can really act up and don't go too fast as there is lots of debris out there. Its a quick ride from McDonald out to the Bell Buoy or the QA for fishing but I agree with Pippen don't bit off more than you can chew. It can change real quick out there. Make sure you have VHF and monitor the weather. I like www.sailflow.com for wind forcasts. I find them pretty accurate and give you hourly predictions. Best bet is to try and find someone to go out there with you the first couple times that has been out there....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much. I will read the topics you recommend and study more. My boat is in Burnaby and lunched off once from Rocky Point for crabbing. I will go with someone with experience next time in English Bay. I take your advice deeply so stay within safe water for now.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I understand that there are still Winter Feeders hanging around Grace Islands in Howe Sound. You could easily launch at Sewells ($24) and its about a 15-20 ride across relatively protected waters. Just watch the tides at Sewells as well for launching and recovery.

My boat is due to come out of the shop in the next day or so and I will hopefully by trying to get out on Saturday to fish....wind permitting....You are more than welcome to tag along and see where we go. I will likely launch at McDonald Beach but if the winds aren't cooperating I may go to Ambleside and stay a little more sheltered...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.