BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im looking for a 5 weight fly rod for 100-170$ Anyone know where i can buy one?ill be just using it for trolling in my float tube for smaller trout and bass.

thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys the thread was accidentaly closed.
I saw that berrys bait has the fenwick eagle 5 wt for sale with a dragon fly reel,does anyone have experiences with fenwick fly rods?pros and cons maybe?

thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
For the price I personally really like Fenwick fly rods. That being said, I do find them a bit stiffer then others, but for my casting style (or lack there of) they work great. It may be a bit difficult to present that perfect dry fly in a small creek, but if you fish streamers or chironomids they work great. The reel is what it is and you will probably replace it eventually but the rod will serve you great, and as back up for a long time. If you are new to fly fishing, and learn on the Fenwick and want to upgrade down the road, I would look at Scott Rods. I find they are close to the similar to the Fenwick for stiffness but are better quality and allow for more delicate presentation.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
The eagle is Fenwick's entry level rod. Like almost any entry level (inexpensive) fly rod it will do the job of trolling a fl admirably. Quality of rod, action, backbone, etc. really don't have much impact until you start casting them (which is really what a fly rod is meant to do). If you want to step up the quality a bit look at TFO and Echo rods or even a Fenwick HMXF as they are all moderately priced rods and much nicer to cast with if you should want to go that way. I see you are in Squamish, have you been to Whistler Fly Shop? Might save a bit of time and running around if you dropped and spoke to the guys there.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Now to compare apples if you were to bump your 170 a bit higher, a great review on the TFO BVK that is a fast rod, light swing weight and affordable rod that rivals Sage, Loomis, Scott @ almost 1/3 the price with a great warranty policy
A dream to cast, able to hit accuracy with reserves for the long bombs, then you'd be styling

Kh

·
Registered
292 Posts
With the less expensive mass produced rods always check to see how well the carbon fiber is wrapped on the final segments. If it is not smooth and has ridges do not buy the rod regardless of what the sales people say. Some Daiwa cheapo rods can be good and load in the mid section the way a good light weight rod should for effective casting and fighting a fish. If you can pick up an older St Croix you will find that they are by far and away the best rods for the bucks.

All that being said a rod tube to transport the thing is still an absolute essential regardless of how cheap the rod. There have been a few times over the years that I have reached the pond or stream only to turn back because I was too cheap to buy a rod case!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice little setup for small waters - when you want a heavier weight for bigger waters look carefully at the TFO range (WSS) - good value for money

1 - 12 of 12 Posts