BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not looking for your favorite spots....BUT....looking for info on what you guys look for in finding the pinks. Want to get my son, soon to be 13, and some nieces and nephews into fish(ing) this season....have a new TJ (thanks Thomas) and usually put in at Fort Langley....

Sooooo, what type of water do you look for/find them in....any info would be helpful.... :thumbup:

Thanks
Mike

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Mike, soon the pinks will be everywhere, including along the Fraser near your home. When they are more prominent, you will see them rising as schools begin to accumulate in our local waters.

Right now, you will find pinks coming into the squamish river system, and along many of the beaches and creek mouths on the ocean shoreline on their way into that system. You can also find them along many of the beaches and river mouths along the North shore now as well...

Spinners with pink blades, pink buzz bombs, and variety of flies will work well. Find the schools and you'll get into fish...

Remember to check your regs, don't forget tidal water boundaries and the licences that go with them, and take the kids fishing...

Hope that helps,
Good luck!

rib

·
Registered
209 Posts
Tidal portion of the Fraser. Usually a little later in the season although I don't see why there wouldn't be some in now. Nice thing is you can go just about anywhere for them. Fraser Foreshore Park in Burnaby would be good for kids, or any of the fishing bars really.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
young gun said:
Like ribwart said when they show up in the fresh water u'll know, it will be infested with fish. Ribwart, do u know what triggers them to start heading up?
I don't really know young gun, I think they just start to move in when they arrive...so although the runs on some systems are in now, the fraser runs are likely just starting to trickle in...or will shortly. then a bunch more will arrive and shoot in and so on...

If anyone else has any insight into this please feel free to share...

·
Registered
19 Posts
i got a couple of quick questions regarding river fishing for pinks. i find im getting the fly down far enough but i am getting no strikes. i was advised on using a fly by the guys in riverside up in squamish so i dought that was the problem. i was wondering if anyone has a couple of quick suggestions for trying to entice the pinks once they are in the river. thanks (i was fishing the mamquam last weekend)

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
young gun knows a thing or two

gotta have that fly moving short twitchy retreive works great for them i have not ever gotten a pink on a dead drifted fly

sparse patterns i also found worked better pink with some flash is all ya need :) and dont under estimate purple works good too

tight lines

HOOK

·
Registered
218 Posts
I gotta couple on the swing but am going to try the twitch and short strip method too...I know the chums like to hammer my fly when I brought it up and down...mainly on the drop you see a swirl and then....bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
901 Posts
well i was fishing for them today on the river using dead drift and so were all the other fly fishermen and women (including two guides)
and we were all getting fish (10+ for me)
i fished the ocean in the morning and that was when i used a strip method(20+ fish today)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Wow! I had a great day today! Over a dozen to the beach for me and countless others lost. Gotta get the kids out this week. What a great way for them to end summer break.

Hotrod

·
Registered
218 Posts
Britguy said:
well i was fishing for them today on the river using dead drift and so were all the other fly fishermen and women (including two guides)
i fished the ocean in the morning and that was when i used a strip method(20+ fish today)
On Sat. I got a dozen on the dead drift, sunday it was pretty dead and we only managed one each in 4 hours...no one up there either..strange...Only guy I saw doing any stripping snagged one on the head..big mother too, I had to pop the hook for him...I haven't seen really any others snagged this year thankfully...except from the old guy with the coffee grinder... :confused:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Britguy said:
You talking the Fraser? I was out there for high tide last night and didn't see much of anything. Was gear fishing, tossing spoons on the lower in the River road area.

I am getting sick of not catching Fish!!!! Mind you I have only been out for a couple hrs in the last 3 weeks, that could be one reason for not catching much... you know, that and I suck!! ;D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I was just out on the Fraser in Pitt Meadows, there were a few out there jumping, could have been socks too though, but nothing for me. I was tossing flies, had a little hit but it was just a couple feet out and I believe it was a squaw. I was just our searching though, so it wasn't a bad night... didn't really find a good spot to cast well, though.

Can someone tell me how close to shore pinks usually come...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.