BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,796 Posts
At the risk of being called arrogant, condescending, unhelpful, let me suggest you read "Best of B.C. Lake Fishing" by Karl Bruhn. That book has got me into a lot of lakes I wouldn't have tried otherwise. Look at the Backroads Map Book for the Okanagan. Both these resources will give you a very good base from which to formulate some more specific questions. There are literally hundreds of lakes "near Kelowna", and I am certain there are members heee who will give you the names of many of them, but by researching them for yourself, you will get much more information than you will get out of a 5 or 6 line post. It is also much easier to give information when presented with a "Can you give me information about Lake 'X"' ?" than "Can you give information about region 'Y' ?". You could try Dardenelles Lake. Dee Lakes chain.

· Registered
27 Posts
Well said.

It totally depends on what you are looking for. Camping, day-trip, hike-in, big lake or tiny.

Don't expect to catch whales, but there is plenty of fun to be had in Kelowna area. I'm from Kamloops, but always go to Kelowna when in Canada to spend time with friends and enjoy a bit of fast fishing after the rather zen-like trophy hunting that I find myself doing in my home town.

I always suggest one of my favourites Oyama Lake as a great camping lake that is quite scenic (something like 17 islands!). If you can find the right spot it has good fishing with some nice sized fishes as well. All the usual flies work well but beware the submerged logs, you will lose some flies, tippet, and leader material.

Also has a resort if you want to rent a cabin.

Cheers,

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys ill go check those lakes out and sorry about not being more clear of the question
its just i have bin told to go try some lakes and spent days there just to find out later that it is a dead lake with no fish in it
thanks again

· Registered
3,796 Posts
joeyscbr said:
thanks guys ill go check those lakes out and sorry about not being more clear of the question
its just i have bin told to go try some lakes and spent days there just to find out later that it is a dead lake with no fish in it
thanks again
That is why I urge folks to use as many research tools as possible, not the least being talking to fellow fishers on the water and at the shore. Even though we have many well intentioned members here on the site, I still see some posting responses on systems they have not fished for years (if ever) and giving information that, I know from experience, is wrong. That said, I can give you information on a body of water that was producing 30 fish days for me today, and when you go there next week, it is as dead as a sterile lake. That is fishing.

· Registered
88 Posts
Speaking of Kelowna area in general is the ice off Postill and Dee lake areas yet ? I have found Postill to be fun in early June for the last couple of years, nothing huge but good action,plus you can hike to some other lakes that produce a bit bigger fish.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
I suggest the Dee Lakes chain. The main lake has really been producing well. My bro. in law has a cabin there, he doesn't know much about fishin' and he has been catching some beaut's....Most fish in the 1-2.5 lb. range on trolled leaches..................Ortho 8)

· Registered
452 Posts
Google earth and fishwizard.com are two very good friends when it comes to research. "the wizard" has depth maps and stocking information, google earth will show you the way and often expose underwater structure (shoals, reefs, that kind of thing) depending on the resolution of the photos they have in their database. Anglersatlas.com is another handy tool.
Just with those you can solve question about access, size, and presence of fish.

· Registered
88 Posts
Just got back from Postill, lots of fun, but not much size, black leech seemed to be most consistent
but did catch on wooly buggers too. Some of our group went into South got a couple of nice ones,
closer to 2lbs.

· Registered
52 Posts
i was just in kelowna this weekend, and was thinking where to fish...?
but even though i have fished most of those lakes mentioned, and could go anywhere i wanted that day...decided to go on up to hidden lake near enderby. 1.5 hr. from kelowna... was rewarded with some fat bows.. biggest were 2, 4 & 5 lbs.. worth the drive most days. :beerchug:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.