BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Just got back from a month on vacation in Kenya. Great time, but I missed my fishing. I did do one deep sea charter in the Indian Ocean and caught (and released) my first sailfish though.

From the reports I've read, it sounds like an odd season in our local waters over the last month. So, can anyone give me an idea of what's worth fishing this weekend? I live in Richmond, but will travel out as far as Hope.

- Any action in the tidal Fraser?
- Non-tidal Fraser?
- Vedder?
- any others?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Eric

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Brief rundown is as follows:

Vedder is good for lots of chum, some quite bright in the lower reaches. There are also coho to be found if you look in the right areas (frogwater etc). Springs are dark for the most part and I would suggest the time has passed for targeting those.

I have taken a few walks on my lunch breaks around the derby reach area and there are some coho being caught in the area by bar fishers

The Stave if full of chum and a few coho.

There are some fish in the north Fraser tribs as well, but as always these systems fish best when they are dropping form a higher water event.

Hope that helps,

Pat

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Tex said:
Great update, thanks Pat! Are the coho still coming into the lower with any regularity, or are they now spread throughout the system pretty well?
No problem Tex, any time :). There are and will be lots of fresh coho moving into the lower for a few weeks yet (caught fresh coho in December by the train bridge) the only problem is getting through all the chum to find them!

Not that I am complaining it is great to see some of our rivers still hold strong runs of the very important but often maligned doggies.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
All the local small lakes along the north side of the Fraser have also been producing fish, and the larger lakes...Pitt Allouette and Stave have been good for trout also. Sturgeon fishing has been really strong, also.
The local rivers will continue to be a bit of a gong show for awhile, but with the arrival of some sustained and heavy rain, all the north side rivers will have some great fsihing oppportunities....The main stem Fraser bar fishing should be good from the lower reaches right up to Hope and .The Squamish/Check might also be worth a look..........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input.

I should have specified that I'm most interested in Coho. I actually work ten minutes from Derby Reach, so maybe I'll bring my rod tomorrow and throw a line out there or Duncan bar if there are fish to be caught. Perhaps the Vedder on the weekend. With the nice weather it will probably be shoulder to shoulder there though. :(

Has anyone heard of any Coho being caught barfishing as far down as Richmond or New West?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pat AV said:
No problem Tex, any time :). There are and will be lots of fresh coho moving into the lower for a few weeks yet (caught fresh coho in December by the train bridge) the only problem is getting through all the chum to find them!

Not that I am complaining it is great to see some of our rivers still hold strong runs of the very important but often maligned doggies.
Good to hear, Pat - I'm taking out a friend from work fishing tomorrow and Saturday on the Vedder. He's from New Zealand, and has never fished for Pacific Salmon before. I'm excited to show him the ropes, and chum count as part of the fun. I think he'll like that just as much as anything else, but it would be even better to help him get a fresh coho.

Hopefully we can go for a walk and get away from the major crowds so he doesn't develop a disdain for Cdn anglers based on the practices of a few. :)

Cheers!
:D
Tex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.