BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just move to chilliwack and pegleg is out my backdoor but the river is sooooo high. Just wondering where some of the best spots are to get those early springs i have been hearing about. Moved from calgary and so looking forward to catching salmon for a change instead of all the trout that i dont eat :) So as i have no boat any advise/tips on a good spot would be nice to fish from shore or a bar thats not flooded ???

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Creekmouths! Chuck some spoons and roe in the clearer water, it's the only chance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks i will try that out for sure. Any particular creeks anyone want to recomend?? And lures i have the some 55 koho and kitamats any other good sugestions and are those sizes about right for this time??

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
ST is correct.....Until the river drops after the freshet and some gravel starts to show and the water starts to clear a bit, your best chance is the trib water that flows into the Fraser....A couple I could recomend are silver creek and the Coquihalla near Hope. North of there, you could try the two or three rivers that drop into the Fraser between Hope and Yale. A little closer to home is the mouth of the Stave. There is always a chance of a few "drop ins" there especially on the incoming tides.
Try 45's 55's Illusion and Koho spoons as well as big T-spoons and jack mac spinner blades or size 5 or bigger Mepps or Vibraax....Colour is not really important
If you go to these areas save yourself some $$$ and do the folowing.
When you get there tie on about a 1 oz. weight only (similar to the weight of the
spoon)....Cast out and cover a fanned area will you will be casting with your lure and count the time in your head til the lead hits the bottom....then retrive. Do this for 5-6 casts and you will get an idea where the hidden hazards are as well as the depth of the water in the backed up flat water areas.1/2 way in let it drop again.
Most of the fish I have caught over the years are around 2-6 feet from the bottom and never on the surface. They are more likely to hit the presentation on the "drop" rather than the retrieve, so be ready!
Fish with at least 20 lb. test and have at leat 150-200 yds. of line on your reel. I caught a spring at the mouth of the stave in 2001 that weighed 38lbs. and I had to yell at one of the boats to take me aboard and chase the fish into the mainstream Fraser.....I landed it down by the mill around 1/4 mile downstream. Without the help from the boater,.....bye bye!........HAve fun out there...Realistically, the bar fishing this year should be in full swing around mid July............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so where these creeks come out in the fraser do i cast into the dirty water and reel into the clean or just reel across the clean water where the creek meets the fraser?? Thanks for the tips by the way much appreciated and needed :thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i went over to jesperson bar the other day as im new to area i have been checking out some of the local places. Saw the boat launch was quite busy got to get one soon! :happy: Anyway while i was there say a sign on the road there well two sign one saying no trespassing and beside it other says open to the public till 6pm. There was a few trucks going down it so i decided to head there to see if any good spots to fish. Then right at the gate there the truck in front of me stops and just sits there for a min i wait and he pulls ahead so i go to go around as i pull up he gets out of his truck and starts screaming and hollering about the no tresspassing sign he was quite rude and if my pregnant sister inlaw and her lil girl werent with i may have gotten out and taught him a thing or two about manners. Now in all fairness if this was his property??? he may be quite annoyed with all the fishermen trying to drive down that road but the sign being confusing like that he shouldo realize that people will be going down it at least till after 6 as the sign said and not be so confrontational or he may end up... well my point, is that road closeed to joe public or open till 6pm like the sign had said.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hey SS
Sorry to here, not a real nice welcome to the"wack", the story behind that is yes that is private property and road way beyond the gate. Years ago the farmer down there allowed free access to the river through there, but like most areas in the area it took a small group to wreck it for every one. there was excessive partying, garbage dumped all over, theft from vehicles and the farm, and blocked access for trucks and tractors to get through. So at the property edge there is now a gate, which is too bad because there used to be some beauty shore fishing along the backside of the farm.
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i can certainly understand that if his place was abused he would shit down access to the public. Mind you he should remove the sign bythe gate that says public access 7am till 6pm as it gets confusing. Now as for his attitude well lets just say thank the girls on that one :pissed:
he didnt have to be so rude but hearing that i can understand why. A shame how a few rotten apples can spoil nice places like that as well as a persons good hospitality.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Salmon stalker, I To was confused about the signs acouple of years ago. I believe the people who own the property further down the road put up those signs, to keep people away from there property. One day I was walking along the dike at jespersons that surrounds there property to do some sturgeon fishing. A old lady came out and started bitching I was on her property..... well she really didnt want us there and told us she was calling the cops...so we left, even though I dont think the dike was her property, does any one know? when we got to the open to public road/ no trespassing road, she told us we were still on her property. But we mentioned the sign said open to public to a certain time and she shut up. So does anyone know whats going on with that road? or are those people trying to scare us off with no tresspassing signs?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes the sign is quite confusing ??? Open to the public, i assumed included myself and those i was with that day after all i am joe public ;).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts