BC Fishing Reports banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Modern spey rods have their place, as do modern fast action graphite single handed rods. But thankfully there are still some places left in BC where you can fish in secret with old school gear. However the guy in this video is perhaps taking the wrong approach by advertising his penchant for using bamboo!::)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I started using a switch rod about five years ago and now I own three of 'em (5/6, 7/8 & 9/10... all are made by Beulah from Oregon) and I strongly recommend trying one if you haven't done so already.

In my case, I do a lot of fishing for Coho and Pinks on the ECVI and I find that I can get good distance - and cast all day long - and not wear-out my arm in the process.

The 5/6 is small enough to use on the smaller Island Rivers and the 7/8 & 9/10 have enough back-bone to deal with Coho (although I was fishing on the Kitimat this past weekend and got into a Coho that I simply could not handle with the 7/8).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started using a switch rod about five years ago and now I own three of 'em (5/6, 7/8 & 9/10... all are made by Beulah from Oregon) and I strongly recommend trying one if you haven't done so already.

In my case, I do a lot of fishing for Coho and Pinks on the ECVI and I find that I can get good distance - and cast all day long - and not wear-out my arm in the process.

The 5/6 is small enough to use on the smaller Island Rivers and the 7/8 & 9/10 have enough back-bone to deal with Coho (although I was fishing on the Kitimat this past weekend and got into a Coho that I simply could not handle with the 7/8).
Sure, going the switch route seems to be a decent alternative to the single hander blues. BUT having to carry a wallet around to change tips all the time, though very effective, can have undesired consequences elsewhere...usually at the bank the fisher person frequents!
All that being said ECVI may be in the cards for myself as well in a few weeks if we get some more rain and the desired fish are not under too much stress.

Strickly clean CnR technique though for this angler. Using my nice little Diawa 4wt and a dry line with a short fluorocarbon tip around 3x there will be absolutely no need for a net or deep wading to chase the fish for that matter. How much backing would you recommend I put on for this adventure???

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Modern spey rods have their place, as do modern fast action graphite single handed rods. But thankfully there are still some places left in BC where you can fish in secret with old school gear. However the guy in this video is perhaps taking the wrong approach by advertising his penchant for using bamboo!::)
I have a cane rod (equivalent to a 5/6 weight) and have used it a few times. If that is "old school", I'll pass. The rod is heavy cumbersome and slow. After an hour of tossing it around, I always go back to one of my graphite rods. An entire day with a cane rod would likely throw out my shoulder.

·
Registered
92 Posts
the two fly rods I own that I will never part with and in my opinion the best fly rods ever made hehehe
sage 590 RPL and my Sage RPL 896 , nothing like fighting a fish on a good ol RPL
next would be my 3pc loomis 9wt cross current
I've got a couple rather valuable cane rods but they are insured collectables and don't go fishing anymore.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The rod I prefer to use will depend on what I'm targeting and what water I'm fishing...

Ah yes, the good old RPL. I've got a VPS which is basically the RPL blank and I do like it very much.

I have an 896 RPL+ and I find it quite heavy compared to today's rods. I do still love that rod though - it can toss heavy tips a mile, and has awesome lifting power. This is what I use for springs and chum.

Recently, I started fishing with a Z-Axis 7110 switch rod and I really enjoy using it. My favorite single hander for salmon/steelhead is probably my 796 XP. My favorite fly rod overall is probably my 590 SLT that I use for interior trout.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a cane rod (equivalent to a 5/6 weight) and have used it a few times. If that is "old school", I'll pass. The rod is heavy cumbersome and slow. After an hour of tossing it around, I always go back to one of my graphite rods. An entire day with a cane rod would likely throw out my shoulder.
I agree, but if you are stealth fishing on a small stream it is not that hard on the arms, only the wallet if you trip. The way I approach difficult small streams is to use rods that are less of a burden upon my bank account if they break. Either that or if I get into a fish that is going to kick my butt, I just let it go without losing the line or breaking the rod OR over playing the fish. So in the spirit of the sport and to quote someone else who does not actually eat fish but likes to fish "that is why it is called fishin' not catching!":cheers:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
It's probably just me but a thread like this is about as much use as one asking "What is your favourite colour?" There is (or should be) no favourite rod just as there is no "ideal" rod. Every fishing encounter begs for a different rod and if the OP hasn't figured that out yet, no amount of idle chatter will help him out. My favorite colour, by the way, is teal. :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's probably just me but a thread like this is about as much use as one asking "What is your favourite colour?" There is (or should be) no favourite rod just as there is no "ideal" rod. Every fishing encounter begs for a different rod and if the OP hasn't figured that out yet, no amount of idle chatter will help him out. My favorite colour, by the way, is teal. :D
As long as the rod(s) in questions are just used as fly rods, fine:cheers:

A more direct method is sometimes a better approach when telling someone to FOD or when discrediting or belittling others, Sir, if this is the goal in mind. The thread was to bring some levity to the forum and to constructively examine why people use some forms of fly tackle in different ways. As such was an open discussion post not a fishing expedition for advice. IF YOU DESIRE IT TO BE SO I WILL CLOSE THE THREAD, your wish is my command!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Reeman thanks for the poste, I sold my river boat this late spring and will be spending more time this fall/winter hiking and wading so was interested in expanding my fishing rod collection with a good fly rod for the Vedder. It was good timing and always great to hear peoples input regardless of what some say!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh for god's sake, grow up.....
Dreadful for someone who has the desire to be "grown up" when fishing.

I hope I never do, especially when learning a new piece of water or technique or anything worth the doing like exploring and learning about the environment from an aquatic standpoint. BC was a beautiful place to live and learn and be one with the waters at one time.

Sincerely
Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.