BC Fishing Reports banner

5 fish who would most likely bite first?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,519 Posts
A tough one to say. I've caught alot of coho and chinooks and they are great biters but the pinks are the quickest to bite.But maybe it's cause Ive caught alot of them recently.My opinion will change in a couple of weeks to springs then coho,then chum! I love it all!!

Hotrod

· Registered
1,160 Posts
This is almost impossible to answer.

Some seem to bite better than others but that is usually the result of them being in great numbers.

I've fished inside a school of sockeye and we could not find jigs that would NOT catch them.

Pinks as well can be watched chasing a lure or jig in large groups.

But then you have Chinooks, who when are on the bite will absolutely annihilate a large lure or huge glob of eggs. If you have never witnessed a Chinook take down a Kwikfish while backtrolling, then your missing something impressive :thumbup:.

Coho as well can be super aggressive, charging across pools to crush spinning metal.

They are all good biters given certain circumstances, it's in their nature to hunt their food and this is what makes them the kings of the sportfishing world.

I might add that the most aggressive of all is not really a salmon, but the good old steelhead, I've heard of 5 rods popping their clips in the great lakes when finding a school of steelhead.

At least when the last steelhead are being netted off the BC coast, the Steelhead will still be catchable.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
i've had most experience with coho. then chum, then pinks. Being able to see ur spinner and have an 8-10lb coho come up from the depths of a pool and slam the hardware is awsome, and float fishing roe and having ur float tear under is a great sight to see. Yup got to love coho.

· Registered
606 Posts
I think I will agree with Bent Rod on the chinook....
Had a 30 lb white spring do a good impression of a great white on a kwik fish last September in the Harrison's clear water.....
It was something that was very impressive to watch,to top it off it was even more entertaining to watch my 14 yr old son do battle with the hog,,thought he was going over the side once!! :happy:

· Registered
17 Posts
I was fishing in the Skeena at Usk, flipping a size 4 Blue Fox around. When i was retrieving it, 3 Coho would follow it right into shore and almost beach themselves trying to grab it. Amazing to watch.

Also, dry fly fishing a little farther past Usk - watching steelhead come up and take a fly was spectacular!

· Banned
2,854 Posts
i have had numerous steelhead in the Vedder come up and attack my float even sometimes holding onto it for a minute or two before they let go

HOOK

however i have also had white springs do this as well except when you get your float back its fricking totalled :mad: :mad: from their teeth and strength

i did catch a pink a few years back that hammered my lure so hard that he didnt hook himself but actually had it lodged cross ways in his mouth and couldnt shake it out :eek: mind you seeing this in the clear harrison i horsed him in very fast to release him as they can suffocate without being able to breathe properly, he took off very fast when i let him go ;D

HOOK

· Banned
99 Posts
HOOK said:
i did catch a pink a few years back that hammered my lure so hard that he didnt hook himself but actually had it lodged cross ways in his mouth and couldnt shake it out :eek: mind you seeing this in the clear harrison i horsed him in very fast to release him as they can suffocate without being able to breathe properly, he took off very fast when i let him go ;D

HOOK
I had that happen with a coho in the Mamquam many years ago, looked like the fish had braces! After I released the fish I looked at the kroc, it was demolished!

· Registered
17 Posts
People get grumped at for repeating a topic. Now they get questioned on reviving old threads. Might as well just shut down all new posts, make people use the search function and keep opinions and thoughts to themselves. :) (smiley face added for the illusion of politeness)

· Registered
1,616 Posts
What's up with all the necroposting lately?
X2 This is a six year old thread.
This one's 4 years old: http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/threads/9851-The-Incredible-Sturgeon-Thread
People get grumped at for repeating a topic.
I didn't get the grump factor but Ya! .... Some posts/threads are revived accidentally and can be confusing as the pertinent information has long since past its due date (Like the hookup a partner for steelheading on the Veddar that's replied to in June8)). This thread however, can be a timeless time wasting discussion; as are some others that are buried in the archives and found by those searching for something to read:2cents:.

· Registered
449 Posts
Get used to it. This is just an old thread. God forbid you think for yourself or have a difference of opinion with a few of the old timers on here. Then you'll hear a truck load of bell aching.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.