BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at the latest issue of BC Outdoors, it was interesting to read the "Industry news" article by Brian Chan and note that he was giving nasty, evil Walmart credit for financially supporting the BC Freshwater Fishing Society's "learn to fish" program that has taught 20,000 students how to fish over the last 3 years. Maybe big box is not 100% all about the profit and is putting a little something back into fishing.

· Registered
517 Posts
rln said:
Just looking at the latest issue of BC Outdoors, it was interesting to read the "Industry news" article by Brian Chan and note that he was giving nasty, evil Walmart credit for financially supporting the BC Freshwater Fishing Society's "learn to fish" program that has taught 20,000 students how to fish over the last 3 years. Maybe big box is not 100% all about the profit and is putting a little something back into fishing.
it is, instead, everything about business. and that one was a smart business action.

G

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Giuseppe said:
rln said:
it is, instead, everything about business. and that one was a smart business action.

G
Meanwhile they drive all the moms n pops fishing stores out of business (amongst other stores with character). If it's walmart mentality, I wouldn't be surprised if they teach the art of gill netting so as to grab as much by-catch as possible. SUCK THAT MOTHER DRY!

Walmart is nothing but a scourge on local markets...they sell everything for "always low prices." Kill the little guy, leaving him unemployed. Now he needs to work for a low wage job and can only afford to shop at walmart. The beast feeds itself.

Oh yeah, good on them for that support. Still doesn't change my opinion. I'm glad we don't have any in Vancouver...it would suck the color from the walls.

:peace:

· Registered
102 Posts
rln said:
While they are at it they should send the people that work in the fishing department to the "learn to fish program"

· Registered
517 Posts
Steve-O said:
rln said:
While they are at it they should send the people that work in the fishing department to the "learn to fish program"
maybe they are already doing this, which will explain the 20000 students in three years :happy:

G

· Registered
1,484 Posts
I've seen (and purchased) a few deals in the WalMart fishing section, but for the most part, their whole sports sections sucks. The employees don't have a clue what they're selling, or how to use it. I go to browse, rather than purchase.

I applaud WalMart for their ecological payback in teaching people how to fish and I think more chain stores should be doing similar things.

· Registered
844 Posts
Nothing about these big box stores is in the best interest of anything but themselves. i think they may realize that they are getting a bit of a bad name so they go out and hire someone who will give them advice about how to change their image so they can keep the masses coming back. The good news is that being sensitive to your environment is good business which is a plus for all of us. The sad news is the moment it is not out the window the policy goes. Just my :2cents:

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Nuggy said:
bronjuan said:
Meanwhile they drive all the moms n pops fishing stores out of business (amongst other stores with character). If it's walmart mentality, I wouldn't be surprised if they teach the art of gill netting so as to grab as much by-catch as possible. SUCK THAT MOTHER DRY!
:peace:
Name one...yes name just one mom n pop fishing store Walmart has driven out of business in the Lower Mainland or anywhere in BC for that matter. Fear mongering without proof makes for a bad argument ::)

Walmart has a terrible fishing section in their stores from what little I`ve seen and no staff to help you. Their pricing on fishing items seemed in line with the other local retailers and I don`t see how they could drive any local shops out of business....which they haven`t.

Cheers
Nuggy
Well after this "teach kids to fish" effort, how do you know they aren't going to increase their sportfishing section? what is the point of teaching kids to fish if you don't supply anything to sell them? This isn't a selfless company we're talking about here.

I'm guessing you are from the lower mainland. here we have a large population that can better support the large and the small. In smaller towns like merritt, who have their very own Walmart, the possibility of running small business out of town is greater since it doesn't take much loss to hit you hard as you're probably just scraping by.

· Registered
648 Posts
small shops that can provide the service and expertise will never be threatened by ANY big box store, in fishing, or any other retail situation. Nothing replaces personal service. :2cents:

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Personally I'd be more inclined to purchase from a well informed fisherman than a zit faced kid that doesn't even know the difference between a cod and a crab in a big box store. Heres an example while shopping at the Canadian Tire in Langley once later in the evening. I asked some kid where I might find 6lb test leader, he said to me "what are you fishing for, minnows"? I said yes, where is it cause I've got alot of minnows to catch for dinner, didn't even phase him. ::) ::)

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Nuggy said:
Name one...yes name just one mom n pop fishing store Walmart has driven out of business in the Lower Mainland or anywhere in BC for that matter. Fear mongering without proof makes for a bad argument ::)

Walmart has a terrible fishing section in their stores from what little I`ve seen and no staff to help you. Their pricing on fishing items seemed in line with the other local retailers and I don`t see how they could drive any local shops out of business....which they haven`t.

Cheers
Nuggy
Walmart hasn't been solely responsible for putting small owners out of business, but there is an indisputable pattern of small businesses across North America, who were doing fine until Walmart showed up in their market, and then finding their profits heading south , forcing bankruptcy. This is not idle speculation, but fairly reliably documented occurrences. There are instances of Walmart pulling into small markets (say the size of Merritt) staying for a few years and then realizing the profits weren't there for them, leaving. The only trouble was, when they left, the businesses that had been there prior to Walmart had all gone and there was no retail outlet for the citizenry left in those small markets.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/busi...01/should-small-businesses-fear-wal-mart.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18274443/

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/45118

http://walmartwatch.com/issues/community_impact/

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3TT7VDX2RXESJ

· Registered
193 Posts
barskull said:
Personally I'd be more inclined to purchase from a well informed fisherman than a zit faced kid that doesn't even know the difference between a cod and a crab in a big box store. Heres an example while shopping at the Canadian Tire in Langley once later in the evening. I asked some kid where I might find 6lb test leader, he said to me "what are you fishing for, minnows"? I said yes, where is it cause I've got alot of minnows to catch for dinner, didn't even phase him. ::) ::)

my new bumper sticker!!!! roflol :happy:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.