BC Fishing Reports banner

Whistler Fishing in Fall

Tags
whistler
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  badkevin 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm new around here, looks like an awesome forum!

I'm heading up to the whistler area for the week on vacation and am just wondering if there have been any recent reports on the lakes in the area. I usually fish this area in the spring/early summer a lot but have never fished it in the fall. If anyone has any info at all it would be much appreciated!

#5 ·
Langdale and Gibsons are the better choice this time of year, can be some very good Cutthroat action on the fly with the usual minnow imitations on the lower elevation lakes which do have anadromous fish. Years ago they were stellar for sea run cutts this time of year, we could fish both fresh and salt on the same day for the same moving fish. Another bonus is there won't be a gaggle of jet skis bombing around you asking how you are doing this time of year like there is in summer!:cheers::cheers:

Would imagine that if you go into a tackle shop they will look at you funny and wonder why. The lakes around Whistler do have stocked fish but are less productive because they are high runnoff low productivity snow runoff buffers for the streams and the fish are smaller as a result. Most fly fishers ignore traditional lake fly fishing this time of year in that area but this is only because they are mostly on the big streams. There still are some other opportunities on either the stocked lakes or especially on the anadromous low elevation ones.:2cents:

#6 ·
Just got in from fishing green lake. When I showed up around 8 this morning the lake was VERY coloured... Didn't think there was a chance of catching anything due to the visibility. Either way, spent 3 hours out there and got 5 decent rainbows and lost a couple more
. Time to warm up and then hit another lake in the area this evening!

#7 ·
Either way, spent 3 hours out there and got 5 decent rainbows and lost a couple more
. Time to warm up and then hit another lake in the area this evening!
That is really good news if the fish are up over 1-2 lbs they are most likely 2-3 year old fish that are growing at a decent rate for a lakes that flush like those ones do. What it means is that people are practicing catch and release instead of just following the hatchery trucks around. Over here in Victoria more and more are releasing fish and some of the Rainbows in Elk and Beaver are getting up there over 4 lbs. Good to hear.

Like everywhere there are planted fish if you release the ones down in the 1 lb range then chances are they will get up in weight in a year or two. Did the fish look like triploids, you know fat belly and small head and silver bright or did they have some stripe and a larger head? Just for the record it would be nice to know if the planted triploid fish are the ones taking the bug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.