BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if I'm the only one that has been getting an exhorbitant amount of whitefish while steelheading, don't get me wrong I've picked up my fair share of steelhead also, but I've been hitting a lot o whities lately....But rarely in years past. Can anyone put this in perspective? I hypothesized that they linger in and around our precious steelies in hopes of getting some eggs, and that consequently I should consider it a good sign that I am doin things right and that they're just getting in the way....do they avoid hanging around the steelies? Do they purposefully hang out in their vicinity?does anyone have some idea?
I also considered that they might be an indicator that the steelies may be sitting just a ways upstream and am wondering if anyone can lend credence to that theory...
Just curious,
Rib

·
Registered
730 Posts
whitefish

I think what you are talking about may not be "whitefish" but probably Pike-minnow or commonly known as "squawfish, and it is my personal opinion that they are indeed a nusance fish feeding voraciously on the young fry that emerge in the spring.

B

·
0 Posts
I know on the Vedder while there is an abundance of Pikeminnow, there are also whitefish. I haven't caught as many of them but they are definitely in there. I'm sure there are more of them at certain times of the year but I'm not sure when. They are a cool looking fish that are a real sucker for a single egg on a smaller hook.

S

·
0 Posts
just wondering how many of you boys like eating fish :?: oh yeah fishing is fun to, but Ilike to eat the odd one, good flavour. :wink:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the pics that big green machine posted I'm certain they were whitefish.....not the pike minnow, the mouth was very distinct as were the scales....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wow, that is one large avatar. Might be a good idea to downsize.

·
Registered
911 Posts
yeah there are definately alot of both squaws, white fish, and suckers in the river this year. I've gotten quite a few down in the lower end over the last couple weeks. If you look down the side of the fish the pike minnows should have a faint orange stripe, where as the white fish will be solid colored. As kids we used to go down to the pumps in the end of may, it wasnt uncommon to catch 40 or 50 in a afternoon, can o worms, couple buddies, ahh good times
Crazy D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those white fish sure to smoke up nice. We pick them up quite a bit in the Kokanee lakes in my area.

Pikeminnos - well we pay a bounty for each retained - some guys make a living just from pikeminnow bounty. I foget the number but it is perhaps a $1-2 per fish - couple of guys turned in 16,000 pike minnows last year.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I was reading about that in a magazine recently (forget which one) and it said that one guy made like $36 000 US in one year. I heard that there used to be a system like that in canada. I could get rich with something like that. :twisted:

·
Registered
120 Posts
that article was in this month's BC Outdoors. They get $4 per fish up to a 100, $5 per from 101 to 400 and $8 each for every one over 400!!!

I wish they'd do that here................I'd be a millionaire :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts