BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be in Whitehorse next week, any good fly fishing close to the city? I'll probably take a 6 weight and some waders on my trip in case of a day off.

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used to spend summers in Yukon and when around Whitehorse I would fly fish just below the dam. No need for the waders there, but maybe in other places. I think a black knat was working good. Sometimes the fish would hit first couple of casts and then nothing. Change the fly and get a couple more. Change again and a couple more. Find the local fly shop and I am sure they will help you out. Good luck

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The Yukon River flows right through WH and is good for Grayling and Inconnu thereis no fly shop in town but there is a guy who sells some fly gear out of his house by appointment.

Look him up on our sister site flyfishbc.com he goes by the handle of "chilkootangler" he is a guide as well out of WH and should be able to help you out in some way.

If you spend a day fishing the Yukon around WH I would imagine you could find some very nice spots, I am always too busy re-uping my suplies while there to wet a line.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Marcham,

the guys are right, fish downstream of the dam, on the right-hand bank (always looking downstream). Grayling on any smaller (14-16) nymph (copper john, bead head pheasant tail). Also, fish near the chinook spawning channel, across river from the Mayo ferry tourism spot. Same flies, plus small egg sucking leaches. Inconnu will be in the deeper pools in the mainstem, near tailouts...clousers in various colors, pike flies in chartreuse too...

good luck!

fishguy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi

I used to go there in the fall and fished the Yukon river right in or near town. The very best fishing I ever had was to charter a plane and fly to coal lake which is only about 30 miles out of Whitehorse as I recall. They would drop us at the lake and pick us up at days end. Fished the stream and the lake (there was always an old row boat around). Unreal grayling fishing with very big fish.

Cheers,

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts