BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Better get a hold of Hotrod via pm...........The guy makes absolutely the BEST roe I have ever used....I have had several limit days and beyond using his recipe...Not sure if it is public knowledge, tho' so ya better check. It's all in the "touch & colour"
Ortho 8)

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Me ;D :p

More chemicals in this stuff than "grateful dead fan".

Ask "Nates" if this stuff works on Shynooks.

Seriously though tons of hot cures out there, many work well ond day or not as good as another the next.
The quality of the roe going in and the way you prepare it is a BIG part of the cure.

Steelhead will hit almost any roe, Coho are a bit more picky(sometimes), Chinooks can go from total roe slobs(jacks) to absolutely finicky buggers.

Wet cure, dry cure, flavored, chemmed up, colors, lots of options with the curing.

I would throw a huge mention to "ULTIMATE EGG CURE" as one to check out, try googling Keiths site and order a jar or 2, definately a hot cure.

Pautzke cures are well thought out cures with the power of the krill, seen these perform on tough bites.

· Registered
99 Posts
I don't think the cure matters much. As long as your cure turns out soft without any crunchy eggs then it will work. The more important step is bleeding the fish and curing the roe ASAP. Although, I catch more steelhead on natural colored baits then brighter colors. Salmon seem to be the opposite.

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Nice Photos Rod, from that trip you told me about when I was down to see you about my anchor eh? That is one nice spring Nates and dad are holding. I am going to pm you about a trip sometime Aug 6-10 for nooks and dinos.

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Like others have said having fresh roe and the preparation of that roe is the important part. From some sites they say not to use your bare hands while handling fresh uncured roe, don't use plastic bowls for mixing in,... and the list goes on and on. The most important part with any bait is the storage factor, you've got to know how to properly store your bait. Wether you keep it in the fridge for any amount of time after curing, how you freeze it or even what you freeze it in. If stored incorrectly in the freezer you could end up freezer burning all or a lot of your bait. Ive had days where my roe will out perform a buddies bait and viseversa. We'll be fishing the exact same spot, same species of roe, just a slightly different cure, and by slightly different I mean if you put two pieces together you wouldn't be able to tell the difference at all.

I highly doubt any serious angler will give out their "secret go to recipe". That would be like Caramilk giving out the Caramilk secret LOL although it isn't to hard to figure out how its done, you just gotta........ the caramel before........ then you pour the rest on.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
good explination, but i kinda stick to the simple methods, i dont like adding all those chemicals or super bright dyes, if it aint broke then why fix it. Roe used to be the only thing i carried on all the rivers i fished, all i had was a leader board with bait hooks, floats, swivels and weights. I caught alot of fish back then. I think confidence in your roe is key, knowing that u'll get a bite plays a huge role in hooking fish

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.