BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed in the past while that there are a number of Loop Spey rods being sold off. Is there a problem with the rods compared to others on the market? Were these the first rods that were purchased and now the Spey fisher is moving up on the ladder of quality? Just curious.
I have the Loop 8126 Blue and 9014 Blue rods. Bought the 9014 from Hook who had bought it from Anthony. It works for me. It is a little heavier than some of the other rods out there. I am not a purist as yet and I guess that is what makes the biggest difference in rod selection.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm not selling mine, but I'd sure never buy another one. I have had difficulty with their warranty. I have had to pay nearly full price for replacement sections. I've been sent wrong sections. This is the first rod I've broken, and it broke very easily. BOOO LOOP!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Im a big Loop Fan I like all there products, BUT !!! I find the Loop rods a bit heavy and killer on the shoulder after a while. I would Buy a Loop single hander but not a spey rod, I also like the TFO and Sage spey rods are really nice. Loop is nice stuff but its all about personal prefrence !!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I just bought loop yellow line 9132-4 because of thier rep. Most guys I know use and love them. Im hoping I have the same luck. Honestly this is the first bad things Ive heard about them..... ???

·
Registered
789 Posts
dereke said:
I just bought loop yellow line 9132-4 because of thier rep. Most guys I know use and love them. Im hoping I have the same luck. Honestly this is the first bad things Ive heard about them..... ???
There good Rods , dont get let down by other opinions, But I rather have a Loop single hander over a double hander by loop, but I would really like to try the Loop Opti spey rods they look really Cool !!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Some of you guys dont know what your talking about!

Loop rods are good, The reason soo many are for sale used is they are more afordable than say a sage or t&t, winston ect ...they are not bottom end by anymeans.

I see lots of spey rods for sale by fellas that think if I buy one I should be able to cast em'........you have to put in time and get instruction from someone who knows what they are doing.

As for waranty I have seen good and bad from any rod company.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Loop Rods are good sticks !!!! Some people dont like them and some poeple do !!!!

Everyone has a prefrence to Brand and action of a Rod, Loop Rods arent for everyone !!! That goes for other rods, some people are dead set on certain companies.

Every Company has there own little warranty issues !!!

Best bet is get what you can Afford !!!! There is some good lower end rods and there is some really nice rods out there that are high priced !!

JetboatJim is right, if you cant cast without proper instruction by someone that knows what there doing, then every spey rod is not going to something you like.

IMO I think the Loop Spey rods are a bit heavy and I prefer something a bit lighter, but there is always someone out there that is gonna say the opposite to what someone else says, so get the rod you like go to a spey clave and try different rods before you purchase one, and get a feel for different actions length and different company makers, once you pick the Rod of your choice then its a whole new ball game on what line you want !!!!

Good luck to the Fellow spey guys !!!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Personally the Loop line fly rods are my favorite. If I've got the money at the time, I'm always looking to add another to the collection. ;D By the way I'm in the market for a #5 Yellow single hander if anyone knows where I can get my hands on one. :thumbup: Would make a great chironomid rod, just seems to be a shortage of those wanting to let those little guys go. ;)

Finder :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
As for selling Loop stuff, some of the guys were heavy into Loop gear, I know Rick had over 8 rods of theres, so if anything is getting sold it's probably going to be Loop cause thats what he owns. Same with myself, I've sold a couple Loop rods, but I still have another bunch downstairs that will never get sold, well maybe one ;)

Now as to Loop rods in general, first you have to understand the colour series, The Adventure is down near the low end, then the Black, then Blue, then yellow, then Green, then Grey, then Signature series. All have their own qualities that are prefered by their owners.

The Blue are fast, and a little heavier. Not my preference, but for some they are great, my wife chucks a 4wt Blue.

The yellow are a smooth cool taper, that can be chucked nice or Jammed on if desired, they have a ton of down low power, I have a 3wt and also a 8124.

My green is a dang cool and can go under hand style like no ones buisness. It's a 14ft 9wt like the one Ricks selling. It can chuck a longer belliy with no effort and a 650 Skagit with a big hunk a T14 on the end.

Warranty can be a pain, mostly now because the colour series has been D/C so components are flown over from europe. I've never paid more than shipping though.

I still can't figure out why someone hasn't jumped on Ricks 14ft Green, is truly a sweet stick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there possibly a movement away from Spey rod by guys who got into it a couple of years ago when it became 'trendy'. I know that I first bought a Sage 9140 then sold it and bought the Loop Blue 8126 because I was directed to it.
Alot of fishers were just recently getting into Scott Speys now I am seeing a number on different sites being sold off. I know that fishing has an evolution to it, with gear etc.
I was wondering if Loop is going down the tube in the west and guys in the know are unloading them before they lose all their value.
Last year I did very little spey fishing on the Chilliwack river with the water conditions being less favourable over the winter. I don't fish the T or up north as yet. I don't have an opinion on my two Loop rods as yet but curious when I see movements in the Spey rod community.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I love to buy used Loop gear ;D but it's Xmas & must be more frugal.

I own 3 Loop two two-handers & love all of them. Like others have said they are great casting & offer a full range of speeds, lengths and affordability (they are really quite cheap compared to other med-high end rods). :2cents:

Pls send me a message if you're getting rid of your Loop 2-hander, the New Year is almost here & its time for winter Steel.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If there is a glutton of undesired spey equipment, I am one happy hombre.

I wanted to start spey fishing this fall, however I came upon the opportunity to learn how to fish a center pin from a great pin angler. I am loving the pin. I do miss tying flies and the concept of catching with flies. Not sure why as catching is catching...right?

I have now set the target to begin spey fishing during the fly only time frame on the Vedder. The move to Chilliwack in January will make it a touch (100km) easier.

Although this thread started somewhat 'Loop' specific it contains some great info for a spey neophyte.

Thanks to all members on this site who continue to share great info, knowledge or experiences. :thumbup:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hey dereke,

My buddy fishes that same rod and loves it. Let me know how it goes, just wondering what sort of lines do you have for it?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Just picked up Rick's Loop green.... As many of you might have already gathered, I'm not one to toot my own horn, but man is that rod ever fun to cast...!!! :thumbup:

It didn't take long before I was laying casts out there with some authority, and I know I'll be fishing the spey over the pin now quite a bit...

For anyone giving up on the spey, don't do it...it's well worth the time and effort to become proficient with the big stick. I'm putting my time in, not easy for someone like me to suddenly be the "rookie" again...but once you lay out some nice casts with regularity, you forget your new to it and start "hunting" steel again as though you'd had that two hander in your hands all your life...

Very excited about the new toy...!

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.