BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody out there knows why the pinks in the lower fraser are not biting. I spent 6 hours on the river today from fort langley and up stream with my boat, fishing different bars, the pinks where jumping everywhere but didn't get a single bite. I tried all the pink spoon I had with different speed and nothing. What I am doing wrong or is there somenthing that I don't know about the pinks that was suppose to be the easiest salmon to catch. If anybody can help me to start catching some pinks that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Pinks are great followers. Sometimes they will follow your lure to death without biting. Try varying your retrieval speed. Sometimes an increase in speed will trigger a strike. If this doesn't work, try using a lure a bit smaller.

Pinks are not really fussy once you find what is working. If you want to try a lure that rarely fails, get some pink 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz jig heads and some pink tails. Get both the 3" tails and the 1.5". Generally I start with the larger ones and downsize if the action slows or I'm not getting any action (a dozen or 15 casts without a hit, when I see fish, is 'no action').. Jig the lure...lift your rod tip no more than a foot, drop it quickly..reel SLOWLY a turn or two..jig again..drop the tip.. and so on. Watch carefully because many hits are within 2 feet of the boat. You will get fish this way..guaranteed.

If the action slows. try jigging twice in a row..drop the tip..reel...jig twice....etc. I call pink jigs 'humpie candy'... they luv em! Nice thing too..if you hang up...break the line and tie another one on..you might be out about $0.60 for the jig and tail. Its important that you don't wildly jig ie. raise the rod more than a foot, otherwise the fish will lose sight of it. If you try to maintain a consistent jig motion and retrieval speed, that helps too because these fish are great followers and will anticipate what the jig will do next.

In the area we were fishing today, dad and I easily limited in just over an hour. Had 30-35 fish to the net in 3.5 hours. We were the only ones fishing jigs that I could see. Most people were either using spinners or fly fishing. The jigs easily outfished them all.

On the subject of jumping fish...if you see alot of fish jumping, don't cast into them..I think you are wasting time. Those fish are jumping for joy at the thought of spawning :thumbup: and probably aren't too interested in whatever you are throwing at them. Cast 10 or 20 feet to either side and see if you can find a less horny one :eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't know if it helps you, Fiz but I wasn't doing too good on pink colors today untill I switched to a flourecent green corky below a willow leaf blade with a couple orange beads then the hook. After that switch, me and my kid had grins from ear to ear till the boss woman phoned and told us to get home or get packin.

·
Registered
193 Posts
dont feel bad piz,i didnt get ONE last year! :wallbash:
been out a half a dozen times this year so far and just got 2 today while nobody else did :happy:
i fished same lures,speed ,depth,time of day,tides....NODDA! Turns out today was MY day finally! :thumbup:
Just keep the same attitude and persistance,dont be disappointed when u see all these guys here catching all the time as they are finatics and have nothing better to do :happy: ,just do what they do...if it aint working,change it up and /or move on! Tomorrow might be your day when u have the attitude...(Thanks a lot for the info, I will go tomorrow night to try it out. Thanks again.) Get out there and keep trying!!!! It will pay off. :beerchug:
Then before you know it you are one of the finatics posting here daily your pics and adventures and makin the rest of us jelous :cheers:

·
Registered
193 Posts
yes,but now that i have gotten some sleep and my head isnt as foggy i didnt do any fishing last summer but a few feeble attempts at some sturgeon and a couple times at cultus.dont mistake me for one who dont read the regs and abide by them,that was a mistyped post my appologies :wallbash:

·
Registered
78 Posts
well i was out today , i tried jigs shoulda red this today woudla done awesome but i used my beautiful spoon hooked 2 in 5 mins bite was on for 1 hr thousands were goin up jumpin risin tailin porpoisin, it was great nice lil spot loved it just lost both my fish no net next time im bringin the net form now on if on the rocks, dont give up on the technique i did all sorts of retrieves, fast n they slam it, slow to nothin n they touch it, doesnt matter ull get em jus set the hook nice big hook and fish on!!!!!!!!! thas how i got em

·
Registered
87 Posts
Went out this morning first light around Derby Reach area and hooked into 3 landed and released one with a respectable hump. Noticed a couple of guys down river that seemed to have a nice time hooking into a number of fish so I decided to sneak by to pry around and look at thier strategy, turned out to be a bad experience when one of the guys had one on that almost fought like a spring--in wich, cought everyone's attention--I mean WOOT! Spring on a spoon, what could be better than that this time of year? When ALAS! it was a fouled hooked humpie :-\, wich was the reason for the amazing fight he had. When the man managed to get this fish on the shore, he proceeded to grab the hook off it's belly and grabbed his knife to actually start dressing the fish to keep it... wrong move :pissed:!!! Me and this older fellow started to get into his face INSISTING he shouldn't keep the fish cuz' he FOULED hooked it. Finally, he actually gave in after the older man started to grab his cell phone. The poacher was actually was mad we interfered into his attempt to retain a fouled hooked fish-- he threw the fish on the ground and booted it back to the river!!! SNAP!! LOOSE IT !!! I was gonna head fake him with his tackle box, and fluries to his solar plexus but I held back took a deep breath and me and the older man tagged team him with verbal attacks till he packed up and left. I wish I had the fish 5-0's number on speed dial for times like these :-[

·
Registered
249 Posts
piz said:
Does anybody out there knows why the pinks in the lower fraser are not biting. I spent 6 hours on the river today from fort langley and up stream with my boat, fishing different bars, the pinks where jumping everywhere but didn't get a single bite. I tried all the pink spoon I had with different speed and nothing. What I am doing wrong or is there somenthing that I don't know about the pinks that was suppose to be the easiest salmon to catch. If anybody can help me to start catching some pinks that would be great. Thanks.
Piz,

I've seen quite a few boats fishing for pinks along Two-bit, Poplar and Duncan bar with little success.

Now before people start piling on saying, "I was in my boat and I got my limit" - just chill. This is merely my observation from the few times I've been out and seen boats fishing on the bars.

I actually was talking to a couple guys down from me and we figured, for some reason, they weren't having much success because they were casting to shallow water then retrieving into deep water, whereas those of us on shore catching fish, are doing the opposite. Clearly, that's just a dumb luck guess, but I suppose it's possible.

I've seen spinners and fly rods on boats and maybe one or two fish caught. Those of us on shore having been out catching the boats by a factor of at least 20x.

Try parking the boat and using the same tackle, try from shore. If you do, please post your results.

My :2cents:

LL

·
Registered
415 Posts
You hit the nail on the head Lund-lubber. When you are in a position to cast into and retrieve in different depths of water, ALWAYS cast into deeper water and retrieve into the shallows. Its the same as varying your retrieval speed..as your lure moves into shallower and shallower water, it induces more strikes because the fish see the fish..err lure as escaping. This is important because even if the fish is not particularly interested in your offering, seeing it 'escaping' causes blind instinct to take over and the fish will hit the lure that it normally might not be interested in.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Summit said:
The poacher was actually was mad we interfered into his attempt to retain a fouled hooked fish-- he threw the fish on the ground and booted it back to the river!!! SNAP!! LOOSE IT !!! I was gonna head fake him with his tackle box, and fluries to his solar plexus but I held back took a deep breath and me and the older man tagged team him with verbal attacks till he packed up and left. I wish I had the fish 5-0's number on speed dial for times like these :-[
Good for you - people SHOULD say something when these jerks kick release a fish! Drives me nuts!!!! No need for that!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.