BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought someone out there might be able to answer why the Cap hatchery switched to rearing the Harrison strain of white springs? I know these fish are on average a much larger size than the strain of Quinsam red springs that were previously reared at the hatchery. However, it seems that good catches of Cap white springs is often very sporadic. If the fall rains come early this run doesn't hang around long enough to produce good local sport fishing.

Am I the only one who misses the days when the hatchery red springs returned to the Cap in late July or early August? Consistent catches of springs could be had all summer, and into the fall if the rain held off. The summer weather was great for fishing, and any size boat could enjoy fishing for the springs. The late run is great for the local charter guys with the big boats as it extends their season. But, the average Joe fisherman with a small open boat really doesn't prefer to fish for springs in the nasty fall weather.

Are we really getting a good bang for our hatchery bucks? I know sometimes the fishing for the Cap springs is awesome in the fall. But, it often seems that the big run never materializes. Many years the fish head straight up the river in the fall. If the river is not naturally sustaining since construction of the dam, how does this benefit the saltwater sports fisherman in Vancouver? Isn't the purpose of the Capilano hatchery supposed to be to give the local Vancouver fisherman good consistent accessible fishing opportunities?

Wouldn't the hatchery serve the local fishermen in the Vancouver area much better by returning to rearing the summer run red springs? Just my opinion, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
ocean survival rates, availability ......... as much as I would hate to say, remember we (sporties) are just pawns.

Why would the nitnat hatchery mainly do chum?????
http://www.canbcdw.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ows/reports/releaseReport.asp?IDValue=114
They spend most their money and time to do that on a fish that goes for around $.15/lb commercailly round and not worth much to sports fishermen?.... have a look at them impressive chum #'s

said it in the stamp river thread and will say it again:
"Fishaholic wants some of what DFO is smokin"

Bet ya is just to say to the americans that " out of this one hatchery we are putting out over 50 million smolts"

..... maybe if we yell loud enough fishaholic could run the show, and listen to everbody and not just the politics.

lol Fishaholic, Minsiter of fisheries and oceans

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fishaholic is right on. It's all about the "numbers" that DFO can boast about by having hatcheries crank out Chums.

It's ironic but it appears that even the returning Chum numbers are dramatically down this year. Jeez, DFO will be running out of salmon species to drive into the ground preety soon.

Oh well, when the number of escaped Atlantics begin to take up the empty space DFO can start to "manage" them, I guess

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i would think that the hachery naturaly will release as many smolts as the brood stock allows them too. on off years the #s will be lower and on good years the #s would be more. this is just what i would think by looking at releases for all species being up and down.06 was a bad coho year allaround and it shows on the release #s.i may be wrong but that is the way i see it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.