BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will hear about it soon enough. Insider information, and I ain't at all likely to "share" the source.

Nog

·
Registered
143 Posts
Very Sad Nog, Fingers were crossed for these poor souls. Terrible news for family and friends of those involved. Condolences to all.

The Ocean can be a big bad place at times, we have big water here, and one can never let his guard down.

HT

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The guide, Kevin aka "The Sturge" was very popular when he guided in Tofino. Most of the Tofino guides went out today with heavy hearts and made a pass at the spot named after him in his honour.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss of your Bud Matt..... been following the story hoping.....

We were help up atthe Mission boat launch last night as RCMP, search and Rescue were in the end results of finding a body in the river close by..... so sad and at times, unnecessary.....

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nog, you make me sick. What thrill do you get from spreading such a nasty lie.
To everyone else, please don't believe him. At the time of his posting nothing had been found and the search does continue. People like him are SO frustrating!
You will hear about it soon enough. Insider information, and I ain't at all likely to "share" the source.

Nog

·
Registered
572 Posts
When things go wrong they usually go wrong fast. I am hearing the next manditory on charter boats will be an EPERB, might not have saved any lives but may have shortened the search. I've seen lots of boats going out when they know they are going into 2 meters plus, not saying this guy did it but it's a reminder to all of us in the industry what happens when things go wrong.

Hard on all the families, sorry to hear about it...

Bret

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
When things go wrong they usually go wrong fast. I am hearing the next manditory on charter boats will be an EPERB, might not have saved any lives but may have shortened the search. I've seen lots of boats going out when they know they are going into 2 meters plus, not saying this guy did it but it's a reminder to all of us in the industry what happens when things go wrong.

Hard on all the families, sorry to hear about it...

Bret
Bret, we've all gone out knowing it's 2 metres. We all say " it's still fishable" because the guests came to catch fish. Trouble is that you remove your margin for error in those conditions and, as you said - it happens fast. A few times i've thought afterwards that we fortunate that some little thing went wrong............ mechanical or otherwise. A few of the guides that were here when he guided in Tofino did a pass @ "the Sturge", Kevin's favourite offshore tack yesterday morning in his honour

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's inevitable that a tragedy like this will happen with these idiots heading offshore in a Cambells soup can. Forecasts must be respected and individual decisions should be not allowed in a proffesional setting. One single guide should not be the decision maker on risk taking. Someone slept in here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is horrible! I am just a rec fisher, but I carry a survival suit in my boat all the time. I can't believe WCVI charters don't have that as a min safety requirement...

I really would be interested is knowing what the point of the original post by ironnoggin was, he's oddly silent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kenmcphee-I think a lesson learned from accidents such as this is just "carrying a survival suit on the boat" isn't enough. They need to be worn because bad things may not happen often, but they happen fast! No time to get it on when you're already in the water and it is floating the other direction!

Cabazo....can't even begin to comment on how rediculaous your campbells soup can remark is. Read some articles online and get informed.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well actually I won't go out in two meters plus, the clients don't want to be disappointed but they are paying me for my experiance in the area if they really want to go out I can always recommend an "all weather outfit" that will scare the crap out of them. I kind of pride myself in opperating in a safe and responsible manner. I'm a retired Air Force Warrant Officer with a pension, so I don't need the money that bad. After 28 years in the outfit I learned that not doing stupid things is the first step in preventing stupid things from happening. You can check my web site if you want and you will see the following statement, "If sea conditions are considered unsafe by the Captain, the vessel will not leave port and the cost of the charter will be refunded." So that's putting money where my mouth is.

Bret

·
Registered
572 Posts
We also used to say there are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots...

Bret

1 - 20 of 39 Posts