BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After discussing this topic at the saltwater gathering in the fall, I thought I would follow up on a post here.
Background.......there are a lot of disabled kid's out there that cannot fish the ocean or rivers because of mobility issues, and I would like to collaborate with any established groups or parties that may be able to co ordinate a day on the Fraser or Ocean and take a few kids and their parents/care workers out on the water....Interested parties individuals out there?........Post up here.........Ortho:peace:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4..........we are just at the beginning of the marathon, and your name is on the list...thank you..........'Ortho

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is on the radar and I am connecting with a number of group homes to see if we can get a few kids together who love the outdoors then parlay a few boats/captains , for a day on the salt or the fresh water,,,Will keep you all posted... We will need several boats, skippers, and volunteers for this special day on the water....Thx for stepping up to the plate...'Ortho

·
Registered
45 Posts
As a newer member on these forums I have yet to take part in any events, so count me in.

I do not have a boat but would be happy to help in any way I can :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Me and my neighbor could take 1 child and a parent or care giver on his boat. If you have enough boats I would still love to come and help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would love to take some out in the salt as that's the only gear I own. Could take. 2 kids and one adult. I have a 17.5 double eagle rigged out for fishing. Nothing better than assisting kids getting their first salmon. Great idea. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys... The overall plan would be to target several kids with a keen interest in fishing, and give them a day on the water, be it saltwater. lake or the big muddy in the valley. The boats need to be able to accommodate those with disabilities and have enough room for parents or caregivers. Assistance would be required at the boat launches for loading and unloading these kids and helping to create a fun environment for them.
Of course there are some hurdles to overcome, but I would appreciate any ideas from the members, especially hose of you that have deep knowledge of the fisheries and can give the kid's a good shot at catching a fish.........'Ortho

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think a good plan of attack would be to try and convince pacific angler and bonchovy to take people out on their big boats with no charge. I could see if they would be interested. And because of my illness I have been involved with a lot of these kinds of organizations. So I could see if they know anyone that would be interested.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Jacob, your offer is appreciated and surely made with good intentions, but please do not go contacting businesses on BCFR's behalf. Many of these businesses already have prior arrangements with us for sponsorship etc so it may not be appropriate for us to ask for more in some cases, and/or not appropriate for an anonymous member of the public to approach them either.

We can contact these businesses officially through website channels once Ortho et al are ready to do so and there is some more info to present.

Please do not take offense, the idea is a good one, this kind of thing just has to be done through proper channels.

Thanks,

Rib

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please feel free to test the waters on this.....I have been involved with charitable work for a long time and most of the salmon guys get a lot of requests for a day on the briny. If we try and look ahead and combine our efforts with easter seal week or piggy back another event, we might have more success. Ideally we would be looking at a day that is a bit warmer than the present and would possibly produces a few fish.
My involvement with BC Children's Hospital may bear some fruit, but I need to do a little more investigation. I will do some work here and report.
There are some hurdles to overcome, but I feel confident we can give a couple of kids a fun day on the water......'Ortho

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Please feel free to test the waters on this.....I have been involved with charitable work for a long time and most of the salmon guys get a lot of requests for a day on the briny. If we try and look ahead and combine our efforts with easter seal week or piggy back another event, we might have more success. Ideally we would be looking at a day that is a bit warmer than the present and would possibly produces a few fish.
My involvement with BC Children's Hospital may bear some fruit, but I need to do a little more investigation. I will do some work here and report.
There are some hurdles to overcome, but I feel confident we can give a couple of kids a fun day on the water......'Ortho
BC Family Day springs to mind but may be a bit soon....

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was thinking about this recently. What if instead of doing a big fishout, we turned it into an all year thing. I used to stay at a place called Ronald McDonald house. I'm sure you've heard of it it's a place for sick kids to stay near the hospital. Once we moved to Vancouver because of my illness we started volunteering there. I'm there every week and there are a lot of kids there that love the outdoors and would really enjoy and benefit from something like this. The thing is they don't live in Vancouver. They stay there for a certain amount of time that go back home and so on. So I think it would be better to mention an option of going fishing to people there and at similar places. Than a time that works for that family can be set up and I'm sure there will be someone to take them out at said time. Than kids don't feel like they have missed out or have to wait a year to go fishing. Just an idea, give me feedback.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts