BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to do some winter spring fishing soon. Has anyone been out in the harbor, Capilano or bell buoy lately. Any fishing reports would be greatly appreciated. What's working and and where. What percentage of your fish have been legal size. I like my hoochies, and if you don't mind sharing the info. What colors have been working well on the winter feeders.

Thanks in advance: TheBigGuy

·
Registered
770 Posts
TheBigGuy said:
I would like to do some winter spring fishing soon. Has anyone been out in the harbor, Capilano or bell buoy lately. Any fishing reports would be greatly appreciated. What's working and and where. What percentage of your fish have been legal size. I like my hoochies, and if you don't mind sharing the info. What colors have been working well on the winter feeders.

Thanks in advance: TheBigGuy
Well..here's a good report for you from the other day!

See this link!

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5221

here's the text:

Here's a fishing report...

I headed down to Granville Island for lunch and ended up seeing Bonnie Lee Charters return from his trip.

His guests were pleased as punch!

He had 3 fish, 14.3 lbs, 10.5 lbs, and 9lbs. Like WOW! Those fish were immaculate and bright chrome!

I talked to the guide, Kevin, and he said he was fishing in outer English Bay. Overall, he said he had rods in the water 4 hours.

His most productive depths were 65 to 95 feet he said. He said they had more than a few "undersize" and probably lost another keeper.

I didn't get too good a look at his gear, but he had flashers on all 4 rods. He said he was out yesterday as well and had lots of action.

One of the fish had a 6 inch herring in it's belly, and the others were empty.

He also had a limit of large Dungeness for his guests too!

It was a pretty miserable day down there, raining pretty hard but overall it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post fishinmagician, much appreciated. Anyone who heads out this winter, please post your results to keep this thread up to date.

Keep up the good work, this is a great board.

TheBigGuy

·
Registered
202 Posts
Managed to sneak out for a few hours this afternoon for winter springs in English Bay. Got the gear in the water around 2pm and fished till dark. Landed quite a few undersize and managed to boat a nice one around 12 pounds. We fished the drop off between Jericho and the QB marker. The most productive depth was around 100 feet for us. Really nice water and warm sunshine out there today finally!

·
Registered
770 Posts
tiller said:
Managed to sneak out for a few hours this afternoon for winter springs in English Bay. Got the gear in the water around 2pm and fished till dark. Landed quite a few undersize and managed to boat a nice one around 12 pounds. We fished the drop off between Jericho and the QB marker. The most productive depth was around 100 feet for us. Really nice water and warm sunshine out there today finally!
Rock and Roll on...the Bon Chovy knocks 'em dead.

Looking forward to getting that Sailfish Jason?

·
Registered
770 Posts
tiller said:
Hey Andrew

Looking forward to upgrading to the Sailfish for sure. Just gotta sell the Seafarer first! Nice to see there is some fish in the Bay. Give me a call if you want to head out on the water for a few hours!
Sounds great! Thanks for the offer! I'm suffering from withdrawal

I'm going to line Walt up and take care of some pre-season maintenance and a couple of upgrades on my boat.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Decided to venture outside the harbour today and fish Tunstall. We picked up a real nice one around 19 pounds (biggest winter of the season for the boat!) Lost a standard legal issue behind the boat and released 1 shaker, and a couple in the 21 inch range. The nice one came on the green/glow coyote behind the flasher. Should be a good week of fishing coming up with the calm waters and sunshine!

·
Registered
770 Posts
tiller said:
Decided to venture outside the harbour today and fish Tunstall. We picked up a real nice one around 19 pounds (biggest winter of the season for the boat!) Lost a standard legal issue behind the boat and released 1 shaker, and a couple in the 21 inch range. The nice one came on the green/glow coyote behind the flasher. Should be a good week of fishing coming up with the calm waters and sunshine!
Good work Jason/Jeff.....from what I've been hearing from a few well placed sources there's quite a bit happening there and up around the corner

I've been doing some other "fishing" here recently and finally landed a big one that'll keep me busy between Monday to Friday....so until then I've got a good solid week of real fishing time available.

Drop me a line if you want someone to bring the beer ;) and chip in for gas...

·
Registered
770 Posts
GOFISH said:
What's the fishing like around Hole-In-The-Wall & Bowen Island/Hutt Island area? Heading out Saturday and was wondering if there was some action??? ;D

G0FISH 8)
Never mind Hole in the Water ;) . Fish from Hutt to Tunstall..............

You didn't hear it from me..but there has been plenty of decent fish pulled out of there in the last 2 weeks.

I know of a 26, 19, 13, 12, 12, and a few more legals hauled out of there. A 29 was pulled out from Defence as well.

110 to the bottom should do the trick...flashers or not, spoons and bait should have you a rockin'....

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thanks fishinmagician!!

Will definately take your advice ....... can't wait ...... hope the weather holds!! Just the thought of getting out there, the solitude of the open water ........ this must be heaven. ;) ;)

Thanks again,

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
770 Posts
GOFISH said:
Thanks fishinmagician!!

Will definately take your advice ....... can't wait ...... hope the weather holds!! Just the thought of getting out there, the solitude of the open water ........ this must be heaven. ;) ;)

Thanks again,

GOFISH 8)
You're welcome.

I've been hearing all kinds of great reports and just about dying to get over there. I've been well meaning to get over there myself but been sick for about a week here and busy landing a new job---which of course will provide for lots of fishing time... ;D

Army Truck Spoons, anchovies, and various popular Coyotes within 10 feet of the bottom have been good. Usu. 120 to 160 feet down up towards the Waterfall. You'll find 'em.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Headed out early Saturday AM. Pulled into Sewell's Marina ..... paid for launch and parking ....... launched the boat, parked the truck & trailer and then set out over to Hutt Island. Was a light breeze coming from the N.W. ......... light chop but nothing serious.

Let down the downriggers and began our hunt on what we hoped would be a rewarding day. At lease we weren't alone as there were 3 or 4 boats in the same area trolling from Hutt Island towards Turnstall Bay and back.

Since we had no luck and it was now about 1:30 we decided that we would try the wall just for old times sake. Brought up the downriggers ....... stored the rods ...... raised the kicker motor and we were off ... ;)

Well sort of ... ::) ::) ::)

Sputter, Sputter, Sputter ......... oh oh ...... don't tell me we're out of gas .......... yup. :-[ :-[

Lowered the kicker motor and crawled into Snug Cove in search of petrol. Let's just say I got teased the whole trip in that seemed FOREVER. Upon arriving ........HMMMMM ..... no gas ........ except a very small fuel station some 20+ minutes by foot up the hill from the ferry dock (or so we were told). We pulled into the government wharf feeling relieved that we would be back under way in a short while.

Captain D. went to get the gas and I stayed with the boat. Sweet I said to myself ..... they even had a washroom there ......... so off I went to relieve myself. Upon my return I found a water taxi boat pulled up beside mine and the driver not looking too pleased ........ asking whether this was my boat. I responded yes wondering what I had done wrong???

The driver said I was in his spot and couldn't park there as it was for emergency boats and could only be used in emergency situations. When I informed him that I needed gas and that it was therefore an emergency he told me I had to leave anyhow but he would allow me to tie up to his smaller boat as long as I only stayed there a short time. HMMMM ... Bowen Island hospitality I thought to myself ..... NOT.

Just as I got tied up again Captain D arrived with a very nice Bowen Island resident with a gas can full of gas. The gent had given my buddy a ride up to the gas station but the gas station did not have a gas can for sale. Our saviour then retrieved a gas can from where he lives, filled it with gas, and gave my buddy a ride back to the dock.

Gave him my business card (we do a lot of business on Bowen Island) and told him to call me when he comes over this way ANYTIME .... I owe this fellow a day on the river and dinner for sure.

Got back to Sewell's Marina with no further problems, loaded the boat and then noticed a blue piece of paper and a white piece of paper on the drivers windshield wiper. Sure enough a parking ticket from Imperial Parking stating that my receipt wasn't displayed properly ..... guess my dash is too big, either that or the piece of paper (receipt) from Sewell's Marina is too small and/or someone needs glasses.

Took the ticket to the fellow inside the Marina who was just getting ready to leave ..... went to hook up the lights and discovered another blue piece of paper along with a second piece of white paper. Sure enough ....... another parking ticket ..... this time one for the trailer.

WTF .... I thought to myself ........ a separate ticket for my trailer????

Took that ticket to the employee inside Sewell's Marina as well ..... he said he would look after it. Guess what ........ I'm keeping my receipt handy just in case. Was too ironic to get mad about ........ Captain D and I just had to laugh.

Nothing else added to the adventure except we did have fish for dinner ......... Mickey D's (no sauce extra cheese). Better than nothing ........ on second thought ..... maybe not. Captain D is sick today .....

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
770 Posts
GOFISH said:
Headed out early Saturday AM. Pulled into Sewell's Marina ..... paid for launch and parking ....... launched the boat, parked the truck & trailer and then set out over to Hutt Island. Was a light breeze coming from the N.W. ......... light chop but nothing serious.

Let down the downriggers and began our hunt on what we hoped would be a rewarding day. At lease we weren't alone as there were 3 or 4 boats in the same area trolling from Hutt Island towards Turnstall Bay and back.

Since we had no luck and it was now about 1:30 we decided that we would try the wall just for old times sake. Brought up the downriggers ....... stored the rods ...... raised the kicker motor and we were off ... ;)

Well sort of ... ::) ::) ::)

Sputter, Sputter, Sputter ......... oh oh ...... don't tell me we're out of gas .......... yup. :-[ :-[

Lowered the kicker motor and crawled into Snug Cove in search of petrol. Let's just say I got teased the whole trip in that seemed FOREVER. Upon arriving ........HMMMMM ..... no gas ........ except a very small fuel station some 20+ minutes by foot up the hill from the ferry dock (or so we were told). We pulled into the government wharf feeling relieved that we would be back under way in a short while.

Captain D. went to get the gas and I stayed with the boat. Sweet I said to myself ..... they even had a washroom there ......... so off I went to relieve myself. Upon my return I found a water taxi boat pulled up beside mine and the driver not looking too pleased ........ asking whether this was my boat. I responded yes wondering what I had done wrong???

The driver said I was in his spot and couldn't park there as it was for emergency boats and could only be used in emergency situations. When I informed him that I needed gas and that it was therefore an emergency he told me I had to leave anyhow but he would allow me to tie up to his smaller boat as long as I only stayed there a short time. HMMMM ... Bowen Island hospitality I thought to myself ..... NOT.

Just as I got tied up again Captain D arrived with a very nice Bowen Island resident with a gas can full of gas. The gent had given my buddy a ride up to the gas station but the gas station did not have a gas can for sale. Our saviour then retrieved a gas can from where he lives, filled it with gas, and gave my buddy a ride back to the dock.

Gave him my business card (we do a lot of business on Bowen Island) and told him to call me when he comes over this way ANYTIME .... I owe this fellow a day on the river and dinner for sure.

Got back to Sewell's Marina with no further problems, loaded the boat and then noticed a blue piece of paper and a white piece of paper on the drivers windshield wiper. Sure enough a parking ticket from Imperial Parking stating that my receipt wasn't displayed properly ..... guess my dash is too big, either that or the piece of paper (receipt) from Sewell's Marina is too small and/or someone needs glasses.

Took the ticket to the fellow inside the Marina who was just getting ready to leave ..... went to hook up the lights and discovered another blue piece of paper along with a second piece of white paper. Sure enough ....... another parking ticket ..... this time one for the trailer.

WTF .... I thought to myself ........ a separate ticket for my trailer????

Took that ticket to the employee inside Sewell's Marina as well ..... he said he would look after it. Guess what ........ I'm keeping my receipt handy just in case. Was too ironic to get mad about ........ Captain D and I just had to laugh.

Nothing else added to the adventure except we did have fish for dinner ......... Mickey D's (no sauce extra cheese). Better than nothing ........ on second thought ..... maybe not. Captain D is sick today .....

GOFISH 8)
Like OMG sorry to hear about that day---nice pics!

I've run out of gas before---I remember that day very well. Since then---I leave the dock with nothing less than lots of fuel.

Law of thirds. 1 third fuel out, 1 third fuel in, 1 third fuel reserve.

Sorry to hear about the slow fishing that day..............

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Definately no fault of yours fishinmagician ....... was a wonderful day ;) :) ;) ....... and besides that I learned some valuable lessons .....

1) Always fill up with gas ..... EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU'VE GOT LOTS. ::) ::) I may possibly even take along a can with spare fuel ... never know when needed.

2) Make sure you have an alternate power source (kicker) with adequate fuel ......... thank our lucky stars for that. (The new Merc 9.9 worked A-1)

3) Just in case have adequate communications for the area you are in ........ never a doubt that we were ok where we were. If in a more isolated area, a VHF would definately be in my boat.

These are only a few .....

Thanks again for the info magician ..... we will definately be back out there to try again ...... while we are primarily river fisherman ...... Captain D and I enjoy the ocean ...... we'll be back!!!

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Magician......sounds like a bit of adventure. The folks in snug cove can be a little "un-hippy" like in their hospitality down on the floats from time to time.

I would think that looks like a Tiara trolling back behind you?

Thanks for the report and the pics.........a day on the water would have been much better than my mediocre days skiing up at Whistler.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Pippen said:
Magician......sounds like a bit of adventure. The folks in snug cove can be a little "un-hippy" like in their hospitality down on the floats from time to time.

I would think that looks like a Tiara trolling back behind you?

Thanks for the report and the pics.........a day on the water would have been much better than my mediocre days skiing up at Whistler.
That's a Tiara alright. There's 3 Tiara's about that size that fish around the Vancouver very often--and they're private individuals. That one guy fishes quite a bit---and I've seen him do alright on a few occasions.

If the guy with the Tiara is on the forums---pipe on up! :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
They did take a pic of one they caught (probably for our benefit ;)) one of the times we passed. We waved the first time we passed .... don't think we even got a response.

Looked like they really knew what they were doing ......... four rods out the back .... cruising a little faster than we were. We were down 130 - 160 ft ...... probably not far enough down for the water we were fishing. It was about 200 - 250 ft deep. Trolling anchovies and herring on a slow spin behind flashers. 15 lb downrigger balls.

GOFISH 8)

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.