BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as a new boat owner(16 foot legend) i was wondering the inportance of winterizing a garage kept boat. i would winterize but plan on using the boat on those nc fall days. should i winterize or just keep heat in the garage. thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok guys 18 views but no advise given back. i no that there are a number of seasoned boat owners out there,please help.i know most would say phone your dealer and they will tell you.i would just like to hear what most guys do for the winter.thanks again.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Since no one wants to answer you, I'll tell you what I do and hopefully it helps. First add fuel stabilizer to your tank and run the boat for about fifteen min. This way any fuel in the carbs wont turn to varnish over the winter. Next if your storing it more than a month or so, fog the cylinders. Pull the plugs and spray a sprizter into each cylinder, turn it over slowly to make sure the cylinder walls are coated and re install the plugs.
Come spring fire her up to burn off the oils and put new plugs in.
Crazy D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would try and keep your fuel tank as full as possible to reduce the amount of condensation in your tank. I am assuming that your garage is heated or will not drop below freezing very often. Check all your oils and change them if there is a hint of milkiness at all. Lube steering cables, shift cables etc and check your seals on everything. Really sucks when you figure out on your first trip out that something is siezed up on you when it has been sitting for a month or 2. Crazy pretty much summed up the rest of it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Fopr myself, my little putt-putt see's almost year round use, except for a maybe a month dry spell. During that time all I do is drain the carb bowls, and top the tank right up. Same for my bikes. Haven't had trouble in 12years. If going for longer periods than that then go full winterized with the stabilizer and fogging.

Oh forgot, get yourself one of those cheap battery tenders, that you can hardwire in, works great for anytime your going to store for more than a week.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Just take it to TNT marine they are the best. They are way better than all the other marine shops and they say that all the time. When I bought my boat they told me about all the bad experiences other people had at all the other shops. Good thing they brought their boats there to get fixed.
I believe they do a great business ...... being positive, one would focus on what they do well ...... NOT what others do bad.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Not that I don't believe they do good work but there are some other good shops around. Venture marine does some amazing work, especially in the Fabricating work.

Besides winterizing a boat isn't really that hard.

G

·
With my outboard, I just make sure I stabilize the fuel and run it long enough to make sure that the stabilizer makes it through the engine. Take the battery out, charge it up to the max and then store it in a warm place. I've never fogged it in the 15 years I've had it and never had a problem. In the spring, I just pull the plugs, squirt some oil in, turn it over a few times by hand, put the plugs back in and fire it up. I generally do the same with my inboard, except that I do fog the engine. Both boats stored in unheated locations, the IB at the coast and the OB in the interior.

Like mountainman mentioned, I keep the built-in tanks full and lube all grease-points. The day-tanks I don't worry about as much. Usually (when I remember anyway) crank the steering controls over so that none of the cylinders are exposed to the air.

It's a good time to go over the trailer too. Check bearings, wiring etc.

All pretty easy stuff to do, especially when you see what some of the shops will charge you to do the same.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a new..for me...40 HP Merc. Would you recommend changing the oil and gearcase fluid before putting it away for the winter? And I have a semi-built in, kinda inaccessible fuel tank. Should I keep it full? And why? This outboard motor thing is kinda new to me. Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
423 Posts
GOFISH said:
Just take it to TNT marine they are the best. They are way better than all the other marine shops and they say that all the time. When I bought my boat they told me about all the bad experiences other people had at all the other shops. Good thing they brought their boats there to get fixed.
I believe they do a great business ...... being positive, one would focus on what they do well ...... NOT what others do bad.

GOFISH 8)
Seems Like a strange comment... we dont typically like to talk about other shops.... only the good things we do...the shops that do lousy work only last a little while typically... Like eimaj said, there is a ton of great shops around, I would recommend taking any boat to your local dealer to get looked after... winterizing an outboard is a very simple thing to do, if you have the time and want something to do.... a lot of the river boat guys never need to winterize as they use their boats all year long... Its the Ski boat guys that Kill me... last year we had a ton of cracked blocks...just cause the motor has frost plugs does not mean there gonna pop.....

·
Registered
694 Posts
Firefish, the reason you keep the tank full is to reduce the chance of moisture getting into the fuel. be sure to chuck some stabilizer in with it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
One big hint on those "frost" plugs is that they are more for flushing the block of sand in raw water cooling systems than for frozen water. Winterizing is cheap insurance and anyone can do it. Each type of engine is different however so what one guy does on his two stroke is different that someone else should do on their fourstroke, same with prop and jet...there are some key things for each to be addressed. Call your dealer or us (604-792-1381) or TNT, who ever you like dealing with, and as long as they are worth their weight they can walk you through and set you up with the proper fluids and reasons why things are done. There are a lot of headaches to be avoided by winterizing and if things are done right you shouldn't have to touch a thing until this time next year and the boat is turn key come spring. Anyone that has a specific question can PM me anytime...I'm sure that thomas would do the same.
cheers!

·
Registered
911 Posts
My question is in regards to draining your leg. I've only had this boat for two years now and it is stored in the side of the shop. My old one I could store in the garage so I never worried about it. Last year I winterized the motor but did'nt think any thing of the leg. A buddy told me you always have tio winterize the leg or it will crack. I did'nt have any problem with it last year and it got down to -10 there for a while, he just said i was lucky, What will actually crack or break.?
CD

·
Registered
587 Posts
The reason for checking the leg is to check for water. All it takes is a couple inches of fishing line picked up by the prop...(think of the bottom bouncers with 20' leaders and a floaty will suspend in the water that can floss your prop!)...and the prop shaft seal is either torn out or suspended on the fishing line or rope and allows water into the gearcase. The only way to check for water is to drain some oil from the BOTTOM plug (sucking some out the top or letting some dripple out is at the wrong end..oil floats even if there is more oil than water). If there is enough water in the gearcase when it freezes then it will expand and crack the case and your looking at about a $3000 bill for a new one! Pending, of course, on what type of gearcase.....all for $12 worth of gear oil to change before it freezes

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thanks, I guess I better check it out :eek: I have'nt checked it in the past two seasons so I quess it's time to change it anyways
Crazy D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.