BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just throwin this out there cuz I asked a simillar question on a different post. But is there, or has anyone ever tried to tie up a worm pattern for steelhead? I realize that the bigger you go, more material needed, absorbs water adding to the weight. But has anyone ever tried? I mean we fish bloodworms and glassworms, why not? :confused:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
A few years back I saw a guy nail a summer run with a big worm fly. When he showed me, it was nothing more than large Pink Chenille wound up the hook shank w/ a 6 inch tail dangling off the end of the hook. In the water it looked like a plastic pink worm. So why not. a large San Juan Worm would do as well.

Finder ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I tie a pretty nifty worm fly. I came up with it playing around with material recently, and it looks pretty cool. I haven't fished one yet, but I'll try and post a picture. The trick is in the tail. What I do is twist the chenille in the direction that tightens it. Fold it over itself and let it twist into a double strand. This makes it thicker and a little stiffer so it seems to keep its form better. So do that, tie it on so it hangs back as far as you like, then just wrap forward. I like to put two wraps of white marabou up front.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Look for the pattern "Steelhead's Nightmare", I never did find the original pattern. I 'guessed' at the materials and tied them up with red lead barbell eyes, Black Cactus chenille, and pink rabbit strip for the tail. I have tied a few with pearl flashabou under the rabbit strip.

I see if I can post some pics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had excellent success with worm flies for steelhead, either dead-drift or swung. If you are tying large patterns, I've found the articulated flies give higher numbers of fish landed than the patterns with the long tails. Worm flies with long chennile tails produced too many short takes for me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I tried the worm fly from the photo today on the Stamp. It didn't catch any fish, but neither did anything else. Using a short, light spey rod with a heavy tip, I found it hard to cast. Lots of water resistance made it hard to bring to the surface, and a lazy man's leader made it hard to turn over. But I played with it in the current for a while, and I like the action. I'm going to put some under floats and give some to drifter friends to see if they are as good as they look.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Here is one o fmy favourite flies to mimic a 4 inch worm, I used a marabou tail with a strip of cross cut rabbit strip wound it up the shaft of the hook when wet it slenders out to a nice little worm like shape , and with the marabou and rabbit strip together makes great action in the water as it opens up great and pulsates nicely.

My fly Box is pretty much all made up of Marabou and Rabbit strip (Barely get this one closed lol)

This isnt a worm pattern by any means but a great Steelhead pattern Marabou popsicle with a strip of rabbit coming out the back this fly reulted in a big steely hook up the other day (Lost it though)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well this fly is actually just shy of 3.5 inch's even though IMO a trailer hook is ideal, but i use thise type of fly in flesh pattern colours with the same way you see it in the pic and it works awesome, never had a problem with short strikes

ex. Steelienightmares

They have a long rabbit strip on them far away from the hook itself and they work awesome, steelhead are known for aggresive takes along with soft takes as well, if they hit a fly like the nightmare then they would have no problem attacking the fly i use

·
Registered
455 Posts
SilverTrout said:
Here is one o fmy favourite flies to mimic a 4 inch worm, I used a marabou tail with a strip of cross cut rabbit strip wound it up the shaft of the hook when wet it slenders out to a nice little worm like shape , and with the marabou and rabbit strip together makes great action in the water as it opens up great and pulsates nicely.

My fly Box is pretty much all made up of Marabou and Rabbit strip (Barely get this one closed lol)

This isnt a worm pattern by any means but a great Steelhead pattern Marabou popsicle with a strip of rabbit coming out the back this fly reulted in a big steely hook up the other day (Lost it though)

I saw your fly box today ST and I have to say I am jelous!! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.