BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get some Ideas in for Spring. I bought my boy a fly rod for christmas, nothing fancy...but its not too bad. 6w I was wondering so I can start planning now, what are some really good first fly rod lakes to take the young lad to.

I gotta start planning now....So I can get so exited I get skunked....

· Registered
2,676 Posts
The list could be endless..There's so many great lake up there. Tunkwa is where I usually direct first timers. The fishing's not to tough, and plenty of them, with the odd fatty swimming around too. I'd say fishing chironomids would be the best bet for a begginer, and Tunkwa is famous for it's carzy chironomid hatches.

Finder ;)

· Registered
555 Posts
I'd second walloper, our school fly fishing club went there once and everyone caught fish, even the extreme amateurs caught multiple fish ;D. Some of us landed nearly 20 fish in half a day. Tunkwa is also good, just doesn't seem to be quite as many fish, but as FF mentioned they are bigger.

· Registered
247 Posts
;Di'll second tunkwa and if you get forced off by the wind leighton lake is right beside it and at a lower elevation where it meets tunkwas flow and you can get out of the wind. i fish may long weekend here and betwn the two lakes have a BLAST lots of fish, you just have to get the right fly working, usually chronies, sometimes damsels. :D

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Walloper is where I caught my first on the fly rod...nothing too big about 9 inches at the most , on one occasion I caught a 2 inch fish on an inch long 52buick.....How that little thing took the fly I have no idea....lol. Many, many small fish and the odd one at 1.5 lbs. But I think I would love it if he had a bigger first fish on the fly than I did....Just to get him hooked. We definetly don't mind traveling a bit. We have a 12 ft alum. with a 36lb elect.

I've heard good things about Morgan in the spring but have never been there to fish.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.