BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody started off somewhere. Where did you start off? ;D A friend fishing, family or just self interest?

I started off because of family and self interest. My grandpa was a fisherman himself, and i remember seeing all his fishing gear and being very interested. I decided to ask my dad to take me fishing and since then, it's all I want to do and i absolutely love it.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
My dad and grandpa used to take me barfishing the fraser when I was too much of a nuisance for my mom, and my dad used to take me fishing out on the chuck when I was equally troublesome, that's when I first developed my fascination with fish. What really did it though was when my dad took me to the serpentine river to cast spoons to big pods of moving salmon...wow!!! That was an awesome sight.

I remember seeing the riffle or "V" they make as they travel through the canal, and this one fish was all on it's own swimming fast up the far shoreline...I spotted it, cast my spoon way out there about 20-30 feet ahead of the fish and 5 feet past it and let the spoon sink for a sec...Well, I thought I had missed my chance when I didn't get the strike right away, but when I lifted the rod, one crank of the reel and WHAM!!!! A beauty coho gave a much smaller version of ribwart one hell of a battle....!!!! LoL...
I've been hooked ever since... ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had been fishing many times before, but my first fish was with my Dad when I was 8 years old. Trolling a streamer behind a ford fender at Victor Lake (north of Jasper) I hooked into about an 8 pound rainbow... brought it to the canoe, tailed it and lifted it up - Dad took the hook out and took a polaroid... fish wiggled, scared me and I dropped it back into the lake... :'(

Been chasing them and dropping them ever since...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Same as you Rib. My dad and grandpa started me by by teaching me to strip cast for northern's off Dorman Bay in the early sixtties. My grandpa was one of the first guides for Art and Tommy Sewells back in the fiftties and sixtties. They aslo taught me to Steelhead on the Thompsom at age 8 in 1967. And that is something I will never forget. Growing up fishing every weekend with dad and grandpa either in the Fraser Valley for trout or on the chuck mooching salmon. These were very special times and ones that I think I will never forget. I just hope that when my daughters have kids of their own that I will able to return some of these experiences with my own grandkids if their are still fish around..........................

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sometimes I wish I had of grown up here with the Steelies,,,however I grew up in Ontario and my parents had a little cottage on Wood Lake. We spent our summers there and as a kid it was pretty hard to beat. Swimming, hiking, fishing were daily routines that seem so far away but the memories are vivid. This is where my Dad taught me to fish, on this lake it was bass and pickerel (what we used to call walleye). My Dad would be smoking Old Port cigars, and we'd troll, he loved to troll off rock points and weed beds. Spinners and worm harnesses were the lure of his choice, and we were often successful. It was a great way for a kid to stay up late because Dad loved night fishing. Sometimes we'd go for small catfish, and we'd fill a large pail with them and we'd spend what seemed like hours cleaning them.

Great memories, and it was then that I always caught a glimpse of my Dad as just a guy fishing, not just my Dad but my pal and we'd always have a good laugh about something. Anyways heres the earliest pic I have, with a proud and very happy steely_crazy on the right, my younger brother on the left, and my older brother in the backgroud in the cottage, and in the middle a mix of walleye and bass for the pan.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Since about the age of one, my dad has always talked, watched, and showed me how to fish. I've was raised on the capilano pretty much. Everyday from sept 1 to october 20 i'd be there after school till about 8 oclock with him. I've watched so many movies over the years. Its just a huge part of my life. I love fishing and i love my dad for taking it so serious and introducing it to me so early in my life!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Mike's 1st BC fishing experience! (fished for trout/bass/carp in ontario when I was 3, and 4)

well, it all started in on a June afternoon....11 years ago....so I was 5....dad said, Mikey its time for you to come fishing with me today....I was like NOOOOOOOOOO I don't want to...after arguing all morning...I finally was like ok, fine! (why did I ever say no?)

Met our good family friend, who had I little fast 14 foot boat...hey it was big back then ;D cruised up river 20 minutes, and fished....my new 11' trophy XL bar rod...I got as a passing present, and a penn 310gti reel....still holds up great for me today...looks the same as the day I got it! well, it was in the holder for 15minutes, before I ran out of my seat, and tried to set the hook......took me a while to figure out how to rip the rod out of the holder....but spiked a nice 9 pound spring! what a first trip! well besides the 25 squaw fish I landed too...and my second trip 1 week later, landed me a 30lb spring in the first 20 minutes!!!!! oh the good old days!

Mike <")))))))><

·
Banned
279 Posts
Trout fishing stokes pit in langley. Around 10 years ago. Started fishing the vedder for salmon 7 years ago. And only landed my first Vedder fish 2 years ago :p A steelhead. I think the most progress on the learning curve was the last two years :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.